Author Topic: narrow rim tires  (Read 5976 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
narrow rim tires
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »
Been riding the Servicycle last 2 days to/from work (8 miles away) and found that I've been "cruising" at a pretty good pace.  My GPS says my average speed's been around 42mph on the straight stretches, and I had hit a top speed of 47mph at one time.  Not bad for a 6.5H.P engine I think.  Brings me to my weakest link.  TIRES.  If I continue at this pace, I'm probably pushing my luck on the bicycle tires I'm now running.  To avoid wrecking a rim, and a little road rash, I may have to bite the bullet and consider a set of nice dependable tires in the near future I'm thinkin.  I have, what I assume, are the original narrow rims and was wondering if someone here can tell me brand options I have, (if any other than Coker) and from whom, and size tires/tubes I should get?  The tires on it now are 26X1.25.   To be sure, here's a pic of the rim shape if someone can confirm these are "original rims" and the size Coker tires recommended will fit correctly.  Thanks for the benefit of your guy's knowledge/experience in advance.  You "guys" probably have part#, price, and order info. by memory.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: narrow rim tires
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
You might check out some of the tires Kenda has.  They might be a little more dependable / affordable than regular bike tires.  Agree that your pushing your luck at those speeds on bicycle tires.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »
I am not a big believer in using bicycle tires at the speeds we can hit.  Not only that, we are carrying another 100lbs or so over the weight of a cruiser bike that those tires usually we're made to fit.  As far as I know, there is no motorcycle replacement tire for those rims.  Summit racing has been  selling the proper Simplex reproduction tire on eBay for a while now.  That is about the best price you will find.  They are the 26 x 2.50 size.  Paul, think of it as cheap insurance for your bike and more importantly, YOU!
Rick

WillH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:03:46 PM »
Paul; I'm excited that you are getting that kind of performance from your conversion set-up and hoping I will get similar with mine. I also understand your concern with the bicycle tires. The rim you pictured is what I call a bicycle rim; this is the same as on the "H" I restored in the '70's. I thought this bike was a '47. I have a '40's bike with the wider, more rectangular cross section rims, but still not the 2". I believe all three rims will accept the same tires; I got my Coker tires from Summit Racing; they are a little expensive but no where near what most vintage tires cost; less than $300. tires, tubes and rim strips ; free shipping. These are nice looking tires, even though made in Viet Nam. I had been told the Coker tires had a speed rating and DOT approval , but I see no evidence of either; they are not marked as such. I did quiet a bit of research looking for a cheaper alternative with no luck. It looks like either bicycle or Coker.

Will   

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »
26x3" kinda flames are what was used on 2008 whizzer ambassador and NER bikes...those hit 40 easily.....just saying

Oh...and there around 25-30 bucks each

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
I've seen/considered couple types of Whizzer/motorized bike tires with reinforced sidewalls.  I've even considered the Nexxis "hookworm" and Schwalbe has a lot of offerings like the "big Apple" tires, among others with wire beads and Kevlar reinforcement bands, etc... combined with the good H.D. inner tubes being used in the Cokers, it does make for a few less expensive "alternatives".  Depends on your acceptable level of risk/safety you put in your rubber..  (like when I was dating) LOL

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
I broke down and bought a new set of tires/tubes and rim strips this week.  I received them today and put them on the rims and bike.  I got these (pair) of Cheng Shin heavy duty tires with the good heavy duty/thorn resistant Sunlite tubes with Schrader valves, and H.D rim strips.  The wall thickness is 2X that of normal tires easily and the tread is very thick!  They are rated at 40-65psi so they aren't going to "peel-off/roll-over" for sure.  I got them in 26X2.125 size but I can tell they are taller tires than the regular tires they replaced.  I think they should work out great and the price was right.  The pair of tires, with tubes and rim strips delivered was only $95. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »
Narrow rims . I wonder how they would mount on the wider rims .
And , they don't seem to have much for a round edge profile . That has me wondering how they will be in the curves .
Maybe you could give us a review after you put a few miles on them .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:08:47 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »
Shall do.  The pic is kind of misleading.  When I took the picture they only had about 30psi.  I had just finished making sure the bead was seated evenly around the rim.  The tread bulged/rounded out more when I got them up to 45+psi. I forgot to mention they also have a wire bead.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:49:48 AM »
That was a USA eBay seller?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
Yes from E-Bay store called Bicycle Bones Classic Bicycles, under Schwinn Whizzer 26" Bicycle heavy duty tires with tubes.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »
here's a better pic of new rubber on the bike.  looks different without the whitewalls now.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »
Well , they look black . Just like the tires on my bike .;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Are they DOT approved?
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »
In my own research looking for tires, I never found, or saw any "Servicycle size tire" that was certified (marked) "DOT Approved" including the tires sold on Whizzers.  I remember someone also saying that the Coker repo tires aren't marked either.  Are there any?  If so, please post example(s).