Author Topic: 1940's trike - Saints Bike - from the Wollard Estate going to auction 4/25  (Read 13864 times)

pd

• View Profile
Maybe the motor # might be visible on one of those pics .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
Rick,

I hope whoever bought it gets on here as well and shares that information. He definitely got a great deal and I don't hold anything against him personally. Just don't like the way it happened.

Vince

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
I don't have a dog in that fight, but I've got to say that simply based on the response Freedom Auctions felt was necessary to post here -I- will never do business with them. Period. They can't possibly sell something that I want bad enough to subject myself to that kind of treatment and patronizing.

"Second, I want to acquaint everyone with the concept of an 'auction.'" This, Freedom Auctions, is about the absolute dumbest thing that you could have possibly said if you wanted to maintain any sense of professionalism and any credibility with this crowd. As if we don't all know how auctions work...yeah right. What BS.

The third party service that is quick to be blamed may have had issues on this particular auction day (I have no way to know for sure), but let me say this: I have bid in auctions online through that service several times without issue. Many, many auction houses use them. Hundreds? Thousands? Whatever it is, it's a lot. The service is "mainstream," for sure. For the claim to be made that the 3rd party technology has been the issue every time is certainly suspect.

A truly professional auction company would have NEVER come onto a forum like this to "set the record straight" in a public setting. Buyer-Seller-Bidder issues should all get worked out behind the scenes, so *news flash* this makes the auction house look bad, not the bidder who was essentially 'talking' with friends here about what happened. The auction company is the outsider, not the bidder, who is a known entity to this community. Something for Freedom Auctions to think about the next time they feel the need to jump online to fight a war of words...resist the temptation and just don't do it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:14:07 AM by Doodle Bugger »

Saints Cycle

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Everyone,

I am the winning bidder and owner of the Saints bike that has been discussed in this forum.  I actually found this forum while researching the bike, before and after making the purchase.

The first time I saw this bike was the first time I ever attended an auction at Freedom Auctions, which was about a month or so ago.  The night I attended, Freedom was auctioning some sports memoribilia and when I was paying for my winning items, I saw the Saints bike in their lobby.  Because of it's uniqueness, I decided to do some research after which I determined I wanted to add it to my collection.  The night the Saints bike was auctioned, I attended, with my girlfriend, with the sole purpose of bidding on the bike.  I believe there was one other person in the audience that was biddiing as well as possibly some online activity. 

I hope the information I've provided will answer any quesitons that some individuals had about the person who purchased the bike.  I will try and post some pictures of the bike over the next week or so as well and any identification numbers.

Thanks,
Rich

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
Rich,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on acquiring a cool and rare bike. I was the on-line bidder that was bidding against you and felt something was not right during the auction as the on-line service indicated that I was the high bidder. That's water under the bridge. You'll find this forum extremely helpful and the guys very knowledgable.

Look forward to seeing and learning more about this bike.

Vince

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
 Hello Rich and Welcome to the forum community . Enjoy your truck and the time you spend with us here.

pd

• View Profile
Welcome Rich. :)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Saints Cycle

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm bringing up this old post as I'm the individual that purchased this cycle when it was sold at auction a year ago.  I hate to admit it, but I purchased this cycle because I collect sports memorabilia and when I saw this at Freedom Auction, I thought it was one of the coolest sports items I had seen and wanted to add it to my collection.  The cycle has been kept in my garage in the same exact condition as when I purchased it.  The only time it has been moved out of the garage was twice when I was taking some pictures of it or when I moved things around.  I'm sorry to say, but I now realize that I do not have enough room to properly display the bike as I had intended. 

With that being said, I am considering listing this on Craigslist as well as eBay, however before doing so, I want to see if anyone on this site has any interest.  While my price is obviously higher than what I paid (as documented in this posting), I feel that not only is there a value for the bike but also from a sports memorabilia standpoint.  In fact, I am also considering contacting the Manning's to see if they would have an interest, especially since Archie has a restaurant in New Orleans.

My asking price is $7,100 and the individual who purchases it will be responsible for picking it up in Sarasota/Bradenton, FL or secured shipping. 

Thanks
Rich

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello All...My name is Brian Hollifield, owner, operator and auctioneer of record for Freedom Auction Company, based in Sarasota, Florida.  I am replying at this time to set the record straight.

In response to the various posts...

First of all, I am full of integrity.

Second, I want to acquaint everyone with the concept of an "auction".  An auction is held to solicit the next highest bid until no further advance is made and hence the highest bidder wins the item.  Last time I checked, we were in the business to sell to the highest bidder, not the lowest bidder.  Does one actually think that we would withhold the acceptance of a higher bid?  Really?

I know most people think there is some conspiracy against them and the world is out to screw them but please, not the case here.   We posted the information about this auction on this particular website because we felt the "experts" might want to know about the sale and would like the opportunity to participate.  I want to thank all those who bid online and especially thank all those who either drove down or flew in to participate.

You must remember, we utilize a third party service for internet auctions.  We did not receive any further bids on lot 101 beyond the final price and therefore the item was sold.  In this case, it was sold to the floor.  If another bid did not come in when one submitted a bid, I can only blame it on the technology.  Everyone expects things to work perfectly 100% of the time.  It doesn't work that way.  I am sorry if you missed out on an opportunity to bid again.  Do not think for a second that your bid was ignored.

For the record, Vince, you left me one message, not several.  I called you right away.  Also, impossible for you to bid in a $50 increment as it is not even offered.  Also, impossible for you to "Type-in" a bid.  Bid button enabled.  We offered telephone bidding and absentee bidding if you felt you were certain to be the high bidder.  In this case, I would have been on a plane.

I am grateful for all those who participated in our auctions to liquidate the Wollard Estate.  There have been many on this board who have been very gracious with information, stories and more.  This is the final phase of the Wollard Estate and I did not want a couple of complainers who don't see the back end of things and think we "pulled some crap" to taint what has been an exciting journey into the world of Simplex.

I suggest that if anyone has any further complaint, call me directly at 941-725-2166 instead of complaining or posting here.

I'm full of integrity too... if you don't believe me, just ask me!
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm bringing up this old post as I'm the individual that purchased this cycle when it was sold at auction a year ago.  I hate to admit it, but I purchased this cycle because I collect sports memorabilia and when I saw this at Freedom Auction, I thought it was one of the coolest sports items I had seen and wanted to add it to my collection.  The cycle has been kept in my garage in the same exact condition as when I purchased it.  The only time it has been moved out of the garage was twice when I was taking some pictures of it or when I moved things around.  I'm sorry to say, but I now realize that I do not have enough room to properly display the bike as I had intended. 

With that being said, I am considering listing this on Craigslist as well as eBay, however before doing so, I want to see if anyone on this site has any interest.  While my price is obviously higher than what I paid (as documented in this posting), I feel that not only is there a value for the bike but also from a sports memorabilia standpoint.  In fact, I am also considering contacting the Manning's to see if they would have an interest, especially since Archie has a restaurant in New Orleans.

My asking price is $7,100 and the individual who purchases it will be responsible for picking it up in Sarasota/Bradenton, FL or secured shipping. 

Thanks
Rich

Rich, did the Mannings have any interest in the bike?  Did you sell it?
Rick