Author Topic: 1940's trike - Saints Bike - from the Wollard Estate going to auction 4/25  (Read 13861 times)

Freedom Auctions

• View Profile
    • Email
We are pleased to announced that the final remaining specimen from the Gary Wollard estate will go to auction on Friday, April 25th, 2014.

This is a 1940's trike that was purpose-themed for the 1992 New Orleans Saints Vs. Buffalo Bills for the Christmas Day game.  The bike carried Santa Claus and Archie Manning to mid-field.  The bike is currently 99% complete and is in excellent condition.

The family originally wanted to keep this bike but has since decided to let it go.  Many of this board's members and the network of Simplex enthusiasts participated in the auction of the largest Simplex collection of it's kind back in February 2013.  We thank all who attended and encourage you to check out the photographs of this bike at the link below.

Absentee bids are welcome by calling in advance of the auction.  This is a one of a kind bike and sure to be the showpiece of any collection.

Auction Date: Friday, April 25th, 2014 at 6pm eastern time.
Where: 1601 Desoto Road, Sarasota, Florida

Link to auction information: www.freedomauctions.com

Bruce

• View Profile
Kinda goofy...wonder if it has more value switched back to original or as this cartoon bike

pd

• View Profile
I guess that would depend on if you were a fan of either team and outcome of that game . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've seen this truck when I visited the Wollard home.  It was nicely done.  Gary always had the dream of being "Mr Simplex" to the world & having the bike at that game did get him a lot of media attention.  I'll bet there is some hometown interest in it and won't be surprised if it doesn't wind up back in New Orleans.  I was a little surprised the family kept it in the first place (maybe they thought they could sell it to someone in Louisiana themselves).
Mike Sal

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
Gary and Adam did take this bike to a Saint's game. I have seen the picture of Adam riding Archie Manning on this bike.  I am sure that this sale is more a matter of how or where to store it in Bradenton than anything else.  I wonder if Chris (Gary's other son) kept one of the automatics.  I guess that this auction marks the final end of Gary's collection!!!  Kind of a sad thought for me, personally.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
When I had spoken with Adam before the first auction, he told me that they all had kept 1 bike each.  I also had the impression that he and Chris didn't have any passion for these bikes, but were holding onto them more in memory of their dad than anything else.

I am of the opinion that the truck would be worth more as a restored truck than as a "cartoon" bike.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
I just looked at the pictures the auction company posted, and this is an automatic.  This truck is a 1953 or later.  If they would post the engine and frame numbers we could determine an actual year of manufacture.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
My buddy is gonna be at the auction

Freedom Auctions

• View Profile
    • Email
Announcement...We are close to auction day when the final Simplex from the estate of Gary Wollard will roll across the block.

Absentee bids are welcome by calling prior to the auction.  You may contact us at 941-725-2166

Telephone bidding can be enabled on a first come, first serve basis and by reaching out to us prior to auction day.  You may contact us at 941-725-2166.

Live online bidding is enabled by clicking this link.  The Simplex is lot #101 if you're searching. Link: http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.html?method=getCatalogLots&catalogref=QLLRP6S48L

You may also find information about this auction at www.freedomauctions.com

And lastly, this is a public auction an all are invited to attend the live auction.  The auction will be held at 1601 Desoto Road, Sarasota, Florida.  Hotel accomodations are nearby.  The auction is at 6pm on Friday, April 25th.  Special preview will be held at 2pm on auction day.

Thanks for reading.

www.freedomauctions.com

Bruce

• View Profile
This went for $2600 tonight...plus auction fees..so about $3000 total....ken bought the box of parts that was there...this and that in it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:10:30 PM by Bruce »

pd

• View Profile
Seems a fairly low price .  I think it probably would have gone for more had they offered it at the original auction .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Bruce

• View Profile
Maybe someone here got it...I think it sold online...not to someone there

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
According to the auction website it sold for $2500.  IMO,  if that truck was restored to original, and it would be worth at least $10,000.
Rick

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
I was bidding online and actually had bid higher than the $2,500 it sold for. When I called the auctioneer they said it went to someone "on the floor". Something didn't sound right but there's not much I can do about it.

Vince

Bruce

• View Profile
Ken was right there and wasn't sure what happened but thought it went online...I think someone got an awfully good deal.