Author Topic: Short Wheelbase Scooter  (Read 1179 times)

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
Short Wheelbase Scooter
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »
Towards the back of the Wollard book, there is a photo and small mention of a short wheelbase scooter, but further details seem a bit unclear to me and I find no other mention of this in the book.

Was this model that ever made it into production or was it prototype only? I know about the regular scooter that, for lack of a better term, I'll call the long wheelbase scooter, but what about this short one? Ever actually built? Any ideas on how many?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Short Wheelbase Scooter
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »
The "big" bike was called the Senior & the small one was the "junior" I think (don't have any of my books close by at the moment).  They all used the Simplex gas tank.

These bikes are also pictured & mentioned in the book "american motorcycles 1900 - 1980". 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
The "big" bike was called the Senior & the small one was the "junior" I think (don't have any of my books close by at the moment).  They all used the Simplex gas tank.

These bikes are also pictured & mentioned in the book "american motorcycles 1900 - 1980". 
Mike Sal

Mike, the tanks they used are not the same as a Servi-cycle tank.  They are smaller, but of the same design.

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
Towards the back of the Wollard book, there is a photo and small mention of a short wheelbase scooter, but further details seem a bit unclear to me and I find no other mention of this in the book.

Was this model that ever made it into production or was it prototype only? I know about the regular scooter that, for lack of a better term, I'll call the long wheelbase scooter, but what about this short one? Ever actually built? Any ideas on how many?

I am away and don't have a book handy, but are you talking about the simplex automatic scooters?  If so,  Bob Legron would be the man to ask, as he wrote that section of the book. 
Rick

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »

I am away and don't have a book handy, but are you talking about the simplex automatic scooters?  If so,  Bob Legron would be the man to ask, as he wrote that section of the book.  

Yes. The Simplex Automatic Scooters.

There is one pictured in the back of the book that is noted as being the short wheelbase model. That's what I'm wondering about.

EDIT: It's on page 38 of the Wollard book in the "experimental" section. I take that to mean it probably never made in into production, but figured someone here would know for sure.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:49:38 PM by Doodle Bugger »