Author Topic: Brake Lite Switch  (Read 2537 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brake Lite Switch
« on: April 18, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »
In other thread Relic had shown some pics of his wiring for his late model brake switch.  He is using Cole Hersee # 9071.  It is a normally "closed" switch which must have the plunger pulled out to break the circuit.

This is not the correct switch for the '57 & later bikes.  It is correct for the 1956 model bikes, where the switch is mounted on top of the lower bar, right behind the motor.

The correct switch for '57 & later bikes is # 9109.  It is normally "open" & must have the plunger pulled out in order to close the circuit.

Since the 9109 switch is very difficult to find right now (they are still listed in their catalog on line), relic (and I) are mounting our switches backwards.

I mounted the switch I got from relic the normal way (didn't think to check it before mounting it) & found that the length of the wire would be a little better if it was 5 1/2 to 6 inches long, as at 5 inches, it puts the attachment point very close to the rear fender & more difficult to reach. 

As it is now, I'm going to make some short pigtail extensions to make my wires reach the switch when it's mounted backwards.  If I ever get my hands on the correct switch, I can just take off the pigtails without having to cut up the wires.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
Re: Brake Lite Switch
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
Mike ,

Just thinking ...
Are the two switches identical in dimension ?  If so , would it be possible to turn the contact slide plate so the contact 'bar' rests behind the external contact points ? That would allow the switch to function as normally open .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
Pete, I'm not sure what the differences are on the inside (yes, they appear to be identical on the outside.  If I had a spare, I'd take one apart to see if it could be reconfigured, but I dont' want to monkey with the only one I have (got it from relic). 
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:06:01 PM »
I don't really blame you , Mike .

Although , my curiosity might just get the better of me . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)