Author Topic: Kick starter for harbor freight motors available  (Read 28650 times)

MrMayor

• 1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford truck
    • View Profile
Re: Kick starter for harbor freight motors available
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »
I bought the engine from Sportsman Flyer Motorbikes.  Rich, (owner Pat Dolan's brother), builds custom engines.  They make the intake and supply Mikuni carbs, Correctly set up Bulley centrifugal clutches, exhaust, upgraded heads etc.  The HF engine block has acceptable quality, (compared to Honda), so I had him upgrade the valve train and install a Black Mamba cam.  The stock HF valve springs are mush.  My "customer experience" was miserable with them but they do good quality, but expensive, work.
1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford hot rod pickup

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
MrMayor hey is anyway I could get the contact info for them. I am in need of a special intake for my bike so I can get my carburetor out of my way.  8)

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
pat@ sportsmanflyer.com or www.sportsmanflyer.com. They are in Gilroy, Ca.
Sometimes the intake can be mounted either in a forward or rear facing direction depending on what is in the way.

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »
www.piratecycles1.com also makes a great looking $25 intake.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 05:01:38 AM »
Thanks MrMayor for that information I will see if they can help me.  ???

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 12:26:06 PM »
Although I made my own performance intake manifold, the issue (both mine, and any  aftermarket one)  is, that they make the air filter stick straight out from the carb, which is something that I wanted to address because of 2 things.  First, it was more personal aesthetics.  I thought it stuck out too far, and looked "out of place" and attracted attention to itself.  Secondly, it somewhat interfered with easy foot placement for the kick start I installed.  Thought I'd just post a pic of the 90 degree elbow solution I chose, for others to consider, if interested.  (note: my 35mm intakes slightly different than normal aftermarket)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »
I like that!  Looks "cleaner", no pun intended.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »
Agreed .

Much better than straight out .
Maybe if you oil the filter with green oil it might 'fade' in a bit and look even less obtrusive .
But , I suppose you could take your pick : " Klotz is red, Amzoil is green, Stihl oil is bright green, Echo oil is gold, Husqvarna oil is blue.
Stihl says their green oil is 80%biodegradable in 21 days "  ...  if you're into that kind of thing . ;)

quote from :
 http://www.physicsforums.com

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:40:58 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
Cant oil this filter.  It would restrict air flow too much.  Even the foam pre-filter element I used to have on it, was to restrictive at WOT.  I had considered making a cap/cover for it but not sure, now that it's moved. (the green spray paint cap I put on for comparison I didn't much like.)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
You could always find a green filter like this on ebay. 390529519606 ,  151506727078 just a FYI

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
First off, that color is HIDEOUS, LOL, not to mention, that filter is WAY bigger than the one I'm using.  I like the way it looks now, and the small size of the chrome filter, blends in well with the other chrome and S.S accompanying it, (acorn nuts, the chrome kick starter lever, throttle and brake rod linkage, etc....)  This pic showing more the surrounding area puts it in better perspective....although pics don't due justice to how shiny paint and chrome actually is?  there must be a setting on my camera that reduces glare automatically.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:45:52 PM by carryall »

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
Did you make the 90? or buy it some where? I have the same prob with mine...really in the way.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »
That filter is pretty small .

And , yeah , it doesn't really look all that bad .
I was just tossing the colored oil out there as those filters are normally oiled .

I'm curious . Have you tried or thought about a filtered velocity stack ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 06:24:35 AM »
Now I wasn't saying to use those filters they were samples like this one that was smaller. 331395506030 I'm just saying there may be a filter out there in the color you need. Shoot I've been looking for one like I run and found several last night on a fluke. The ones I posted were found in just the first search I attempted so the right one may be just a click away. You see when you say think out of the box to me I'm all ready thinking outside the universe. That's all.  8)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 07:23:13 AM »
Trust me, I had my watched list FULL of possibilities but opted this route afterward.  I originally did make the intake to be a filtered velocity stack but by the time I got it cut down to where it ran best, I ended up changing the carb jetting and exhaust, and then needed even more air.  That's what caused me to pull the pre-filter. This filter/elbow is actually sold by a company I've used when doing Honda CT90's (Beatrice cycle) but for an aftermarket adapter, you'd need to measure what size the filter adapter is, and shop from there, or cut your own from a properly sized radiator hose maybe?  I believe that most aftermarket adapters are sold with filters with a 2-7/16" I.D.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:10:24 PM by carryall »