Author Topic: Phelon Wiring  (Read 11475 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Phelon Wiring
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
Good luck . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 07:08:40 PM »
Bad news....no spark after putting the bike back together....I wonder if when that one output terminal blew out it was a signal that the coil is shot?  I figure I'm going to drop it off at Wayne's booth when I get to Portland & leave a blank check.....wish me luck....
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 07:19:57 PM »
Mike ,

That coil is very likely internally grounded / shorted . The only way to fix that would be to remove the outer 'shell' , unwind all the wire and coat it . Let that dry and rewind the coil .
I don't think  that would be any kind of an easy job as the wire is very fine and has way too many rounds .

Just buy a new coil from Wayne and install it . 5 minutes and you should be on the road again . ;)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »
Well, the good news is Wayne had a new 2 terminal coil at the meet.  I had to shave a little out of the inner insulation to get it to fit onto the laminations.  The bad news is that didn't immediately fix the spark issue.  With help from "old timers" Ernie & Jim, we got spark (we tried too many things all at the same time to know true root cause, but suspect my points gap was too small), but still no start.....

Ernie started pinching off the needle adjustment on the carb (back when the bike first konked out, I thought it was a carb issue & I piddled with all of the adjustments....so who knows how badly I had it adjusted) & it finally caught & I was able to ride the bike a total of about 2 blocks.....when I returned to the camp, I had to choke it to kill it (we had unhooked the switch to make sure we weren't getting a false ground on the ignition).....when I went to re-start it 5 minutes later, it wouldn't hit a lick......I got so mad, I pushed it over to Sonrisers for the group picture, then pushed it back to camp, and let it set till we loaded it into the truck to bring it home.

I'm sure it will run now as soon as I get the carb tuned in (I'll probably swap back to the new Carpenter carb that I have too). 
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »
I have to wonder if Wayne had those 2 terminal coils made or if he found some that were made for a different machine .