Author Topic: New project! Simplex truck!!  (Read 7823 times)

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
New project! Simplex truck!!
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:51:37 PM »
Drove from Michigan to Brownwood Texas(the middle of the state and in the middle of nowhere!!) to pick up my latest project! 1953, or 54 not 100 percent sure yet Simplex truck. Stopped by Wayne's place in Alabama and he is leaning towards 53 because of the weights on the clutch. It's a pretty nice piece! Complete with original tow bar, but missing the box and a headlight and it's supposed to run! So let the fun begin!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New project! Simplex truck!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:11:31 AM »
Sweeeeet! Looks like a great project. I know you were stoked to get it home. Hope the trip went well without any glitches. Thank you again for letting us be a part of the experience. Mike is still drooling over the 52. Try to get it running this week. Thanks, Bob

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:56:11 AM »
Really nice!  Document the build for future reference please.  When you get a chance, can you post some specs on the frame, such as length, width of the rear frame area.  When I built mine, I had to guessimate as I had no real numbers to work from.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:58:52 AM »
I think that this truck may be 1954, based on the brake system. The early truck used a cross bar to pull the brakes, while the later used shorter rods with pivots.  The early also had the brake backing plate on the outside, and moved to the inside with the pivot style.  I do not know when the changeover occurred.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:02:42 AM by RickS »
Rick

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:21:35 AM »
Rick I will post some detailed pics of everything this appears to be pretty much unmolested and original. I do know the engine has been rebuilt by Wayne sometime before 2003

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
Yeah, it definitely looks like a survivor!  What are the engine and frame numbers?
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
Nice looking truck and a great start.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »
I love an original bike! Looking forward to pictures.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
Looking at the tow bar, I don't think the mount is original.  I have seen several originals, and they all attach at the rear of the rocker pivot, not to a welded on plate.  Please post some more photos of the tow bar.
Rick

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Rick I sent pics to Jim Lokie and he said that is a original tow bar and mount he knows of another and has seen it -I thought the same as you! The best thing about this bike is I actually got it running and rode it tonight! It's got some carb issues but I rode it! Needs correct tires it's got newer bicycle tires on it and as I was riding it the bead was coming out of the rim but that's a minor issue! I'm just stoked that after sitting for so long it ran! This thing turns like a tank! Lol! Probably got it going about 20 mph

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 05:49:54 AM »
You asked the right guy,  Jim has probably had more trucks than anybody else!  Yours is the first I have seen with that brake setup that had the fixed pulleys for the drive.  Are you coming to Portland?  If so, bring it before you tear it down for restoration!
Rick

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »
Yes i will bring it, what is the best day to be down there? I sold my other bikes so i will be foot'n it lol!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »
Yes i will bring it, what is the best day to be down there? I sold my other bikes so i will be foot'n it lol!

IMO, earlier in the meet is better.  If you wait until the last day, a lot of people have already left.  We are going for the group photo on Sunday afternoon, I think. 
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »
Yes Sunday at 3 pm for group photo. My wife and I will be there on thursday sometime, We will be set up with the kettle korn, find us when you get there, would like to meet you and get a look at that truck. You sold the black bike you just got done? was it the one on ebay?

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
Yes the black one on Ebay was mine! and yes just got it done! I rode it about 75-100 miles in the last few months, won a trophy at a motorcycle show' It is super nice, dependable, and lots of fun but thats the thrill for me, so time to do another one!! a new guy on here named WVBIKER is the one who bought it, super nice guy-he said he will be in Portland with it! He didnt want the bags so i will keep them for another one!