Author Topic: '59 or '60 Sportsman rescued  (Read 2973 times)

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
'59 or '60 Sportsman rescued
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »
Just picked up a '59 or '60 Sportsman from Missouri yesterday. No motor or trans assembly. Does have the correct front end, large wheels and brakes, also has both fenders in nice shape. I know these are kinda rare and not much info on them. Does anyone have a idea of how many of these were produced in their 3 year run. Later today I'll try to post pics and get the frame number. Any spare motors or clutches for sale. LOL, but always a shot in the dark.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: '59 or '60 Sportsman rescued
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »
Is it a floorboard or foot peg model?  These models used an internal kickstart and a motor for this will be hard to find.  The clutch is the same as all the other automatics.
Rick

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
It has floorboards and crash bars that look like they were added by Bubba and a hot stick. These will need to come off. We do have other frames that could be used. Are these more collectable with or without the floor boards and crash bars. I put a post in the sportsman section asking how many of these were made. The frame number is 18001.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
It has floorboards and crash bars that look like they were added by Bubba and a hot stick. These will need to come off. We do have other frames that could be used. Are these more collectable with or without the floor boards and crash bars. I put a post in the sportsman section asking how many of these were made. The frame number is 18001.

That other section is for the Sportsman sr, compacts and scooters.  The Simplex Sportsman is based on the Servi-Cycles, where as the others are like minibikes.

No one knows exactly how many of these big fender sportsman's were built, but I would guess less than 1000, but probably closer to 500.

The highest recorded frame number is 18186, so you have one of the latest.  Are the fenders painted or chrome?  Get some pictures up so we can see what you have, please.
Rick