Author Topic: 2014 Portland Report  (Read 1591 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
2014 Portland Report
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
It's been an up & down show so far for Sonya & I.  Getting to see all the great Simplex people is on the good side.....the bike deciding not to run is on the bad side. 

We got 37 Simplex's together for the photo shoot today....we drew quite a crowd.  It was kinda fun stealing the thunder away from the Cushmans & Whizzers if only for a little while.  There were at least 20 more Simplex bikes out in the park that did not come over for the shoot.

I pulled the carb off & swapped it for the old one just before dark & the bike ran for about 6 seconds......arghhhh.....we'll hit it again in the morning.......

A lot of the gang is here as well as a lot of the Simplex veterans.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2014 Portland Report
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
Bob Kerr & I had talked about going by the Model T museum in Richmond Indiana today since it was along our path home.   When Sonya & I pulled into the parking lot this morning, it was nearly full of model T's & Bob was standing right in the middle of them.  He told us a car club was getting ready to go on a small tour around the area.  A few minutes all the owners came out of the museum to get started & they invited us to ride a long.  Bob hopped into a '25 touring & Sonya & I rode in the back of a 24 touring & they took us on a country drive with a few stops at some historic sites (Richmond had one of the earliest recording studios / record manufacturers in the country....all the great musicians of the day came to Richmond to record their music). 

They then told us that they were going to go to a local grass airport where a antique airplane fly in was being held.  That was a hoot also.  The simplex in the back of our truck got a lot of lookers too.  Bob used to have an old plane & he got a real kick out of seeing them too.  We were hoping some real oldies were coming but by the time we left, only some old Stinsons & a model T powered plane were the only really old ones.
Mike Sal

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
sounds like lots of fun!!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:16:07 PM »
Sounds like you made the best out of the trip. we pulled into Omaha today and got a motel, start popping Korn tomorrow. It was nice seeing you guys again.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:34 AM »
Mike, don't you have an old Ford?
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:47:00 AM »
Yes, we have a 1926 T touring & Bob has 3 model T's, so we fell right in with the club.  There were about 25 cars in the tour.  It was kind of neat to ride in the back seat....I've always been the driver or in the front passenger seat.
Mike Sal