Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 18854 times)

Bruce

• View Profile
Re: Conversion
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »
Ya! What he said

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
Kick starter was easy to install. Wayne sent it to me after I had already mounted the motor. I just took the bolts out and slid the plate between the motor and mounting plate, put the bolts back in , screwed the pinion gear on the shaft , kicked it once and it fired right up. I took the pull rope mechanism out and cut the bottom of the pull rope housing enough to let the kicker pass by. I did have to weld a tab on the foot board bracket as a stop to keep the kicker from returning too far and getting caught, but I think my frame is missing the original tab that serves that purpose. Wayne's kit has a plate with a  stubb shaft the kicker mounts to. The plate just has 4 holes that line up with the motor mounting holes. I have the bike in another town at my in laws shop, and I keep forgetting to take pictures, I will try to remember to post some the next time I'm up there. I would recommend the kicker to anyone....very easy.

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 12:37:39 PM »
I just picked up my 52 Simplex and want to run an aftermarket engine set up. Any information or recommendations any of you can provide will be greatly appreciated (Pics don't hurt either).

THANKS!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »
What are your abilities?  Wayne makes a great bolt in kit for a gx200 or clone.  If you want to do more work, but have a more convincing replica, search here for Honda GC conversions.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 03:20:41 AM »
James, Have you been out for a putt with the new set-up yet?  When do we get pictures?!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 05:17:01 AM »
James, Have you been out for a putt with the new set-up yet?  When do we get pictures?!

Yeah, what Tom said!
Rick

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »
Not even close. I'm still buying pieces here and there. i'm gonna go with the HF212 predator and probably a torq a verter. the jack shaft set up is quite a bit more than i wanted to spend. adding Waynes kick start for it too. i'm trying to get her back on the road and building my wifes 1948 safti cycle too. all that on top of a wife who is 36 weeks pregnant and living in hellish so cal... can't wait to retire and get out of this hellhole.

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
sonrisers, can you upload a pic of what your motor setup looks like with the kick start?

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »
Just took some pictures, I will have to upload them w/ my wife's computer, and she is on it right now. Will get right on it when she is done. Some issues I am having with the kicker...When I first put it on, it worked perfectly, and after kicking it a few times, it seems to be "slipping" thru when I kick it. It still starts fine, but it is chewing up the pinion gear a little. I don't see any way of adjusting it. The kicker plate has 4 bolt holes and they line up exactly with the holes in the motor, and the shaft that the kicker mounts on is welded right to that plate. Another issue I am having is there is some slipping of the belt when I get on it from a stand still. I think I can move the jack shaft back a little and take care of that problem though. I have a call into Wayne, and I hope he can shed some light on both issues.All in all, I am much happier with the conversion than I was with the original set up. The torque converter works a lot better, (even with the belt slipping) than the original set up. The hf motor starts with 11 kick every time...and I mean every time. Pics to come.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Here are the pics.  :o

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
Which belt is slipping?  If it's the Clutch and driven belt, it's critical to have them adjusted properly.  If using belt #203593 with 6" driven clutch, the C to C of clutch mounting bolts have to be 8 11/16" to 8'3/4".  Closer than that and the belt will slip until higher rpms close the drive clutch quite a bit.  If the rear drive belt to the tires the culprit, move the tire back.  Side note:  I chose to "anchor my jackshaft" in place and slotted the engine mounting holes in order to move engine forward to adjust clutch belt, and made rear wheel adjusters in order to move rear wheel back to tension drive belt. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »
When using the kickstart, engage the gears first, then "push" the kicker through.  If you just kick it, without prior engagement, you will hammer the pinion gear with every kick.

With the clone motor I had, and I also noticed when I rode Wayne's bike, you need to choke these motors to start them, even when hot.  I am of the opinion that the carburetors for these motors are set up so lean for the EPA.  Next one I do, I will look into enriching the carb.
Rick

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »
Sonrisers, where did you get the seat covered? I just got done cleaning and painting my seat pan.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
James, I see something in the second photo you posted. The kicker gear is still in the return layback position and it should look like the first one. You mite want to check that it ir returning all the time. But it is looking pretty good thou.  8)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »
Heathers leathers for seats... I think I paid $225, that's where everybody on here told me to go, they do really good work. As far as engaging the gears rick, I have started doing that now...but I got in the bad habit of just letting it fly when I was kicking the other motor b/c it was so hard to start. Wayne called me back and confirmed that there is no adjustment. He said he may have sent me a pinion gear that wasn't properly heat treated, said if keeps acting up he will send me another one.