Author Topic: replacement brake shoes  (Read 14618 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
replacement brake shoes
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
I was wondering if these brake shoes would work on my 48'?  On E-bay for $11.00 and measures 4.925" (125mm) and look very close.  Anyone tried?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: replacement brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
never tried them but I think they will work. Would need to be a one inch wide shoe

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »
Thanks Rick and sorry, I should have looked more closely at the search results.   I figured that would be too easy anyways. LOL  Looks like I'll be getting ahold of our man Wayne for linings this fall, when I start to pull things apart to work on. I've noticed the brakes are fading from all the riding this summer.  (100+)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »
 I bought a foot of this stuff.  Looks nice.  Have rivets coming  tomorrow.  Also bought a piece of 1/4 inch thick and am going to reline some shoes then mount to backing plate and then turn to just under drum diameter. The plan is to have full shoe contact plus not have brake shoe cam contact point so far away from center line of pivot. Maybe all of this will aid in better stopping power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wire-Back-Brake-Lining-1-Wide-x-3-16-Thick-Price-is-Per-Foot-/281375566432?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41834a6a60&vxp=mtr

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
Tom, I was looking at that stuff on eBay the other day.  Bob Kerr told me to heat the material and it will bend around the shoe much easier.  What are the proper size rivets and where did you find them?
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I would actually like to reline without rivets, but bond the material.  Jim Lokai had a guy do this for him.  I wonder what type of glue would be used for this.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
thinking about making a jig for CNC mill then pop the holes and counter bores in lining material. Then just rivet them.  I already took a skin off of the cam end of the shoe so it slides easily. I thought it would be neat to do a core exchange on shoes.  Depends on my time.  

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
would need to research adhesive.  probably need to build up a clamping fixture of some kind

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
would need to research adhesive.  probably need to build up a clamping fixture of some kind

I saw a picture of a flexible band wrapped around the 2 shoes with a spreader bar in the middle to tension the whole shebang.
Rick

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
I am sure there is a good adhesive out there...I use a panel bond adhesive when doing some autobody repairs when you bond 2 pieces of metal together like a quarter panel or roof skin etc.. the metal will rip before the seam that you used the panel bond on! 3m, Valvoline, and SEM are products that i have used. Just fyi...
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
Kartjockie,
I checked the ad and found in the listing "Wire back lining is to be used on External Shoes & Bands Only" Our brakes are internal??? Let us know how it works out.
John

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »
Kartjockie,
I checked the ad and found in the listing "Wire back lining is to be used on External Shoes & Bands Only" Our brakes are internal??? Let us know how it works out.
John

I read that too, as was confused about what an external shoe is.  I think it just means the material goes on the outside of the shoe, which most brakes do.  Most band brakes would have the material on the inside, and there for would be curved the wrong direction.

At least that is how I see it!  LOL
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
the wire backing is extremely fine wire to the point that it is  unnoticeable. It wont even matter that it is there.