Author Topic: replacement brake shoes  (Read 14620 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: replacement brake shoes
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 07:21:31 PM »
So what are you charging for those, they look better than the ones Wayne sells. I would like to be on the list for two sets with rivets.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
I did the first set of shoes with just a hammer but decided to rig this up.  Kind of provides a third hand. I have a pin at the bottom that the head of the rivet sets on and the riveting tool is held in with a set screw..  Notice how I had to contour the riveting tool to avoid the web of the shoe.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »
I take it you have a dimple under to back the rivet while tour pressing it?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
This is Pauls(carryall) brake assembly. Notice how far the cam has to turn before the shoes engage the drum. This is set to contact a drum diameter of 5.000. So just over an 1/8 of an inch.  An adjuster would be nice!   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
Tom ,

Did you see this post ?

" Distance from cam pin to cam contact point of shoes will be sorter thus more leverage.  That is my theory! "

Tom ,
I had to work with what I had .

The talk about transmission shoes brought to mind the fact that my brake adjustment was near totally used .
I had to remove the rear wheel anyway , so I pulled the brake panel for inspection . I found that my brake shoe rocker ends ( as opposed to the pivot ends ) were just aluminum . They had no hard surface to protect against wear , like most more modern shoes have . The brake actuator , where the rocker ends rest while mounted on the panel , had small ridges close to the tips ( likely left from casting ). Those ridges were cutting into the flat surface of the rocker ends of the shoes .
I filed the ridges smooth and made protection 'clips' out of that hard , unforgiving copper pipe that I couldn't bend for my exhaust pipes . That copper is about 3/32" thick , so I ended up with almost an inch more of adjustment on the brake rod .
Hopefully , the copper will save the shoes from too much more abuse .

I can't believe I didn't take any pics while I had the panel and shoes off . :(

That ^ sounds like it may accomplish the same thing as a tad larger shoe surface . The 'caps' did / do seem to help the bike stop sooner .

And , I don't sleep as easy with my bike so far away . :( My only consolation is that I know it's in a safe hidyhole . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
Definitely a great idea PD.  I am trying to do two things by using a thicker lining.  Be able to arc the lining to the drum diameter  and, at the same time, keep the cam back.  Aiming for the eagle!

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
Would have been nice if the brake actuator was able to be taken off instead of welded on. It would be easier to build up, and/or even up the two sides, or even change the profile/angle of it.  Could also extend the brakes arm for more leverage too?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
Would have been nice if the brake actuator was able to be taken off instead of welded on. It would be easier to build up, and/or even up the two sides, or even change the profile/angle of it.  Could also extend the brakes arm for more leverage too?

Changing arms on the brake lever was easy.  I had to move the lever on one for the 3 wheel truck I built. 

As for changing the length, I posted the following in another thread:

The earlier style, that used the clevis, came in different length arms. The 1949 I had, used arms that measured 1 1/2" from pivot center points, where as the 1953 and 1954 I have both measure 2".   I guess Simplex decided a little more leverage wouldn't hurt.

Interestingly enough, The sportsman measures 1 3/4", where as another late style I have measures at 2".  I wonder if this length change was precipitated by the change in the brake lever action, as the sportsman uses a completely different brake pedal setup?
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
It's good to hear there's more than one way to "skin a cat"!  (or skid servicycle tire) and not  be inventing the wheel again. (at least the wheels brake) 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »
I had considered building the actuator , but went with the shoe end caps as that was the easiest and quickest solution to accomplish about the end result .

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
here is the final product.  Ended up being a little bit of everything. Last pic shows the cam angle wen the shoes will contact a 5.00 dia. drum.  Also installed a thin clip on each shoe to dial in the diameter I wanted.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
Sweet , Tom .

You may have just gotten that eagle . ;)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
Carralls brake shoes being field tested soon.  Wait for his report!!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
With bated breath ... Hurry up Carryall . ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Got it back together last night and hoping to get it on the road when it warms up today? (50 degrees)  It'll take a mile to wear in the pads (slight brake drag) and then eventually, I'll see if I can get it to "skid" on smooth concrete, which it wouldn't do with the old ones.  The material is softer than old material and SHOULD conform and grab better than the other ones.  (they were manufactured by Raybestos Tom said) We'll see...