Author Topic: replacement brake shoes  (Read 14463 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: replacement brake shoes
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
Got it back together last night and hoping to get it on the road when it warms up today? (50 degrees)  It'll take a mile to wear in the pads (slight brake drag) and then eventually, I'll see if I can get it to "skid" on smooth concrete, which it wouldn't do with the old ones.  The material is softer than old material and SHOULD conform and grab better than the other ones.  (they were manufactured by Raybestos Tom said) We'll see...

How bad were the originals?  I can lock up the rear wheel on my rat bike, and those shoes look like they might be original.  Wayne's replacements, which are the woven material style, will lock up the rear wheel on my restored bike also.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »
Tom said it looked as if someone else had put linings in at one time because the holes were slightly oversized, probably from them drilling out the original rivets.  The old/replaced pads were plenty thick but didn't stop the bike well at all.  The new pads work GREAT and take minimal pressure to do the job.  (I locked them up just to see if they'd do it) Great job Tom.  Thanks again, and when they wear out, we'll be doing it again with the same pads.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 12:43:20 PM »
My replacement linings can lock my rear wheel , too . I'm not positive , but I think my linings were produced by Wagner .  My memory isn't as ... what was I saying ? ;)

Anyway , the OEM linings must have also been able to lock the wheel as the original rear tire I have is nicely balded , center treads .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)