Author Topic: Torq a verter/ comet clutch metal shroud  (Read 5901 times)

socalsimplex

• View Profile
Torq a verter/ comet clutch metal shroud
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:04:47 PM »
Does anybody make a metal cover for torq converters (tav2)?

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Re: Torq a verter/ comet clutch metal shroud
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
check with carryall, he has a full cover and also something he made that looks really good. I don't think he liked the looks of the full cover, and ended up making something...but I think both look good.

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
I just sent him a message. Hopefully he'll reply

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
P.M sent, but like I mentioned, I don't think it will fit over a TAV unit without modification because of the mounting locations I used.  I went with Jackshaft/pulley set-up.  Just a comment on TAV units tho.  I have heard other peoples experiences with them (TAV units) and most said that the backing plate that holds it all together wasn't strong enough for our (Simplex with adult rider) application. (usual used on mini-bikes)  I believe that there's cheap Chinese copies of them also, so that may/may not be the root of the reported problems?  If you wanted my "old cover", be happy to sell it to you cheap if you want to take a chance and modify it for your purpose tho?

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:49 PM »
What is the difference between the tav clutch and the comet clutch that Wayne sold me? I thought they were the same thing???

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
Time to sharpen your fabrication skills!!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
Yea not only tell the difference but show us some pictures of the difference.

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
what is the main difference between the TAV and a jack shaft? Is the jack shaft the pic of your bike without the shroud? i'm just looking for the most dependable setup.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
Wayne sells a series 30 comet clutch which mounts on the engines crankshaft. Included in his kit, is a 6" series 30 driven clutch which is then mounted to a separate jackshaft, located/mounted using a pair of carrier bearings, that also includes a pulley, that pulley then via another belt, goes to the rear wheel.  When I hear the term "TAV unit" I envision the TAV and TAV2 unit that's sold for use on mini bikes, etc., that incorporates/mounts the clutch to jackshaft unit on a single backer plate (I,e. like this photo)  Waynes drive system (same as mine, but I did some modifications) uses a completely free, and separate mounting location for the jackshaft. (OTHER PHOTO)  If you bought Waynes "kit", then my old cover should work with minimal mods/work to your bike.  (need to drill a hole in the vertical brace,to mount, etc.)  Sorry for any confusion if you/Wayne referred to his set-up as a TAV.  The "TAV" unit pictured are the ones reported to have been problematic for our use, and also having been cheaply copied by others.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:53:57 PM by carryall »

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »
Do ya have an idea of what that kit costs from Wayne?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
Give Wayne a call.  If you have some original Simplex parts your not going to use, he will likely work out some "horse trade" for them, in exchange for a credit towards his "kit".  Wayne's very easy going, fair, and a pleasure to deal with.  HE IS THE SIMPLEX PARTS GURU. (not to mention most others like Cushmans, etc...) (256) 353-5552

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
Thanks Carryall, honestly though; after seeing your green bike.... i like the exposed jackshaft set up... i think i'll do the same... i left a message with Wayne... my list is getting quite long with him: Jackshaft kit, front fender, headlight, rear rack... haha.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
Just a note for your consideration SoCal, I recall you saying you are a big guy.  It probably wont be an issue with stock engine set-up but, when I had more load/stress on my bike from a faster, more powerful engine build, I found the need to reinforce the jackshaft mounting area/location.  The 1/4" mounting plate would flex/bend under heavy load so I welded a lug plate to it in order to bolt it down to the frame.  Only needed it on the one (belt) side.  (see right side of photo)

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
Great to know. Ya I think I have the title of biggest Simplex owner. 6'3" and a hair over 300 lbs (working on getting back into the 250s) but i got my first Simplex in May and sold it to buy a frame to build. Now I have a 52 Simplex and a 1948 Safti Cycle. Can't very enough of classic American motor bikes.