Author Topic: Original Breather & Filter  (Read 6603 times)

David Stinson

• View Profile
    • Email
Original Breather & Filter
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »
Are any of you guys running original engines using the original breather and copper pad filter media?

Do you feel that the original style media provides adequate protection for the engine?

If you are running something else, what are you using?

Thanks,
David
David

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Original Breather & Filter
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:21:10 AM »
I would be inclined to put a lightly oiled foam element behind the copper filter to be safe. This will still allow it to look original.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
To think further. I would install a small mesh first to keep from drawing the foam into the carburetor. 

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
Just a note tho:  the use of a foam filter may affect the carbs air/fuel ratio.   I had to remove mine (lightly oiled foam pre-filter) because it caused my motor to run overly rich, and was especially noticeable during "mid-range" and full throttle application.

David Stinson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »
When I got my bike from the previous owner it had the mesh showing and a piece of a Briggs foam filter inserted ahead of the mesh.  I am having some issues with deciding that my carb adjustments are correct based on engine performance.  Although he stated that he had ridden the bike "a lot", I am pretty sure that he didn't ride it much.

I did take LARRYBROWN's advice and started using Opti2 oil which greatly improved starting and running.  I later put some of the 16:1 mix that I originally mixed up per the instructions in the manual to take a short road test and had to push it home from my neighbor's house.  I haven't been able to get my carb adjusted to my liking since trying to tweak it while the heavier mix was in.

Although I am not doing  anything non reversible that will detract from the original look, at this stage of the game my primary interest is in being able to take it on the road without the fear of not getting back safely.
David

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »
Having bought/sold/rebuilt MANY mopeds over the years, 16:1 ratio sounds WAY too rich, (even for breaking in a new engine).  Not surprised it wont start.   

David Stinson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Yeah.  It is definitely richer than anything that I see on anything else.  I was just going by the info in the Simplex manual.  I was cautious of changing from that.
David

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
I'm sure other owners with original engines will share their ratio with you, but my guess is that with the advent of much better lubricating, and ashless synthetic oils for 2 strokes since these motors were produced, the ratio can be extended to approx. 32:1 or so. What say you owners of original engines?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »
I'm sure other owners with original engines will share their ratio with you, but my guess is that with the advent of much better lubricating, and ashless synthetic oils for 2 strokes since these motors were produced, the ratio can be extended to approx. 32:1 or so. What say you owners of original engines?

This has been discussed many times on here.  I have settled in at 40-1 with Echo brand oil.  I have tried as little as 50-1 and as rich as 16-1.  IMHO, all got got from more oil was more smoke and harder starting!  I couldn't detect any additional cooling, as I have checked running cylinder temperature with a heat gun.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »
Rick is right about all the dialog over this topic.  What I do know is he wont run my mix and I wont run his!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
Rick is right about all the dialog over this topic.  What I do know is he wont run my mix and I wont run his!

Yeah, but I do love the smell of the Race Gas you use!  LOL

Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
Interesting???   Who'd have figured discussing oil ratio would be so polarizing/political? LOL  Speaking of odor from exhaust...Anyone else tried the "flavored" 2 stroke oils before?  They have cherry, strawberry, etc...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:05:24 AM by carryall »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
Scented oils, what will they think of next. I know it sounds like a good thing but hey Who would wamt your bike smelling all girly like. Give me the smell of burning octane.

MrMayor

• 1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
There was a previous post about the fact that running more oil, (more oil means less gas in the mix), making the engine run lean.  "Too lean" engines run hotter.  Thus, adding too much oil to the mix is counter-productive for cool running.  Rick is right...sheesh.  I feel better now.
1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford hot rod pickup

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »
My friend bought the cherry scented oil for his girlfriends "scooty-puff-jr" (red 49cc Zuma) at the last bike show we went to.  He thought it was appropriate/funny.