Author Topic: new source for tires  (Read 8289 times)

socalsimplex

• View Profile
new source for tires
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »

http://voltagecycles.storenvy.com/collections/100154-all-products/products/495993-project-346-26-x-2-5-balloon-tire-black

I like the look of the simplex tires available through Summit racing.  I'm trying to check what the width was on the original tires. I found a site that sells something that looks very appropriate for a Servi Cycle. Please check the link and let me know what you think.

might be worth a shot for $50 a tire.

MrMayor

• 1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford truck
    • View Profile
Re: new source for tires
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
That is a great deal if the tires are any good.  I just bought 4 Servi-Cycle tires (26x2.5) form Summit which were $126 each, free shipping.  They were drop shipped from Coker in Tennessee.  They are made in Viet Nam and look like original molds with the Servi-Cycle lettering down the middle of the tread and on the sides too.  The sidewalls are as thick as the tread part.  The same tires are always on Ebay for $10 more and with shipping added from Tennessee.
1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford hot rod pickup

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
ya im not sure which route to go with it yet. I found them available stateside (I believe they are produced across the pond) at www.thecruisershopcampbell.com for $45 a pop.... i wish they made them in 24" so i could try them out on my wife's 48 safti cycle.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:02:48 AM »
Someone buy a pair and give us a report.  What I have found on the bicycle tires that I have seen used on the Simplex, they are flimsy.  To me, the savings is not worth the peace of mind that a good tire provides.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »
Been very happy with the H.D. tires and tubes I put on this summer.  I've got over 200 miles on them and show no signs of wear.  After pressurizing them to 60lbs, I have never needed to add air and no way they are going to "peel off" cornering with the super stiff sidewalls/wire bead.  Down side is they are a modern tread design and not ribbed look.  I have an original Servicycle tire I got with the bike, and comparing them side by side, my new tires are ALOT thicker than the originals, especially the sidewalls.  But the tire issue is a lot like the oil issue...Each person has their own opinion/bias as to what they prefer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:10:20 AM by carryall »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »
Carryall, what brand are those tires?  Also, what size? 

I used Heavy duty cruiser bike tires in 26 x  2.125  on my Simplex 3 wheel truck,  and I found them lacking in durability and they are not really wide enough for my liking.  I did see a 26 x 2.35 cruiser style tire at Portland that looked pretty good, but I still think the sidewalls are lacking.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »
Schwinn Whizzer in 26 X 2.125.  I'm unable to find the exact item # tho.  I got the pair plus the tubes, (which are top of the line regardless of what type tires you go with) for $95 delivered.

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
The Simplex reproduction/Coker tires install easily on stock Simplex wheels.  But today I found that they are a real pain to get them mounted on 26" Worksman wheels for another bike that I am building. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:38:29 AM »
The Simplex reproduction/Coker tires install easily on stock Simplex wheels.  But today I found that they are a real pain to get them mounted on 26" Worksman wheels for another bike that I am building. 

On the steel wheels?  I have heard they are hard to get on to the Worksman Alloy wheels.
Rick

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »
You are correct.  The Simplex tires are difficult to install on my alloy Worksman wheels but easy to install on stock Simplex steel wheels.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 08:17:24 AM »
You are correct.  The Simplex tires are difficult to install on my alloy Worksman wheels but easy to install on stock Simplex steel wheels.

I have been told they go right on the Worksman steel wheels also.  The Cubine brothers used Worksman steel wheels on their reproduction bikes, and I doubt they would have used them if the tires were hard to install.

I seem to remember reading about this topic on a motor bicycling forum in the past.  I guess the OD of the alloy rim is a little larger than the steel one they make.  Can you measure the alloy rim for me? I would like to know how much bigger they are.
Rick

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
Thanks for the info Mr. Mayor I just ordered two.
If anyone is interested save time and use this quick link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-74778
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »
Here are some outside dimensions I got by using a large caliper directly over the axle centerline:
Worksman aluminum wheel: 1 3/4" wide, 22 11/16" diameter
Stock Simplex steel wheel:  2 7/8" wide, 22 9/16" diameter

So the Worksman aluminum wheel, even though it is narrower, has a bigger diameter by 1/8"

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
BTW, the motorized bike guys are using 24" Worksman aluminum wheels with Avon motorcycle tires for about the same outside diameter and a much better quality tire.  Scott at SilverStateCycles.com sells them.
I bought expensive Maxxis Hookworm tires (26"x2.5") but now have them for sale, unused, due to the modern tread pattern that I just could not live with.  They were recommended as the strongest 26" tire out there.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »
Thanks for the info on the alloy rims.  I wonder what a steel workman rim is?  Anyone have one to measure? 

1/8" doesn't seem like much.  I wonder if the "ledge" on the inside of the alloy rim is higher, not allowing the tire to sit down inside the rim as deep?
Rick