Author Topic: wheel bearing assembly  (Read 2287 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
wheel bearing assembly
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
Had bike on stand this weekend and figured I'd inspect and grease front wheel bearings.  It's been awhile since I dealt with old fashioned loose ball bearings, so thought I'd ask "the experts" here.  Between the bearing cone and locknut, is there supposed to be a small flat washer?  If not, should it matter?  I did notice it did allow a normal thickness 11/16" wrench to be used to hold the cone, while snugging the locknut vs. without it, so I left it on.  just curious?   

pd

• View Profile
Re: wheel bearing assembly
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »
According to the M manual , there is no washer between the cone and jam nut .

I'd think that if there was enough room between the rocker arms , washers wouldn't hurt anything .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:46:38 AM »
1948 manual does not support the idea of a washer between cone and jam nut. (Parts catalog shows same view as the manual.) I don't see how the addition of a washer would make much difference.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:31:33 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll just leave it in there then.  I decided to remove the speedo also, it sure made installing the front tire a whole lot easier without it.  Now I gotta debate this "kick start" mod over the winter...(Hmm? scratch, scratch)