Author Topic: I need a engine  (Read 6160 times)

rsduda

• View Profile
    • Email
I need a engine
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »
ok so I have given up on trying to find a original engine for my 48 so I want to re-power it something else and I don't know where to start I can get a gc160 from tractor supply but is that enough HP ? 
thanks
Ron

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I need a engine
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
Almost any engine will have more power than a stock simplex!  For what it is worth, a Simplex is around 4hp, and pretty low on torque.  The Honda GC160 or GC190 are rated at 5 & 6 horsepower, and will be more than enough to get a simplex up to 45-50 mph.
Rick

rsduda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »
can you get a 160 that will run the lights ?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
Yes you can but involves changing the flywheel and adding the lighting coils. If you go that far add a kick start and bam your there. Thats what I bought this past July and tweeking it. So come to the dark side we have more than cookies.  ???

MrMayor

• 1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
The factory manual says a Simplex can reach 40mph...in one block.  Woo hoo.
1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford hot rod pickup

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »
Going down a hill!!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:55 PM »
I bought the 212 harbor freight predator motor for $99. Traded my original motor to Wayne for the mounting plate, the jack shaft, the comet clutch and and kicker. I think about $800 worth of parts if you were to buy them out right from Wayne, but you don't need the kicker, you can use the pull start, and get the kicker later if you wanted, Worked on it two nights after work mounting everything and had it started and running. Still need to make a few adjustments to the jack shaft b/c it wants to slip a little when I get on it from a dead stop, but it runs at least twice as fast as the original motor. I haven't tested it for top speed, b/c I only have 26" bicycle tires on it. Starts with one kick every time...(that's only if you remember to switch the kill switch to the run position.) I have very little mechanical ability and was able to do all of it in just 2 evenings. Some on here like the upright motors better b/c they look more original. I also like the looks, but it takes more fabrication to get them mounted. Look at some of the posts in this section to see which one you prefer, and decide  how much work you want to do. I love the look of the original motor, but changing to the clone motor was the best decision I have made for what I am wanting to do with my simplex. Carryall is a good one to talk to about these motors and is very willing to help out,

rsduda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:45:47 AM »
thanks for all your help I will keep you posted

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »
I just placed the same order with Wayne. The clutch and Jack shaft kit cokes with all of the needed brackets, correct? I'm working with a rolling chassis (just frame and tank basically)so i hope you and carryall can help me out if I'm looking for pointers.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »
did you get the mounting plate, if so, everything bolts to it. The jack shaft comes with 2 bearings, and the clutch comes with the belt and everything needed to mount. You will need the bolts to mount the bearings and motor to the frame.

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »
Maybe I'll start a thread and post detailed pics of the process when i do mine. That way others that choose to go that route can view. Thanks for the info!

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
Socal:: Please do .

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
I will. Never assembled anything like this before. I've wrenched on dozens of classic cars though, so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Going with Waynes adapter plate, kick starter and clutch/jack shaft assembly. I bought two whizzer sheaves, one for my 52 simplex and one for "my wife's" 48 safti cycle. I've had a change of heart and will run a Simplex sheave. I'm looking for a set of good tank decals though. I bought a set off eBay and they turned out to be horribly pixelated garbage. Does anybody have a good contact for good decals?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
Wayne also carries some water slide decals and Sonrisers can make a few in vinyl. I myself had the lettering done in powdered coating not perfect but dang near bullet proof.

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
What's the difference between the water slide and vinyl? All I know is that the ones I bought off of ebay were HORRIBLE,