Author Topic: Sportsmans  (Read 2410 times)

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
Sportsmans
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »
I posted  questions in the New Simplex on Ebay thread. But I'll try again here. Any estimates on How many of the big fendered sportsmans were made. A friend of mine has two complete rolling chassis. Looking for 150 motors if any one has one for sale. Also what is the value of sportsmans and their specific parts. I know they are rare and hardly ever see them. Any info would help. Thanks, Bob

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sportsmans
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:51:25 AM »
Bob, I don't think anyone has a good estimate of how many were built, but I will take a guess.

I would bet less than 500.  I base this on the fact that Simplex built so few bikes from 1959-1960.  From some info I have, Simplex produced 820 bikes total for 1959-1960.  At this time they were building footboard regular models, footboard Sportsman's, footage sportsman's, and scooters. Even if the "new" Sportsman was the most popular model at this time, they must have sold some of the original style and motor scooters.

Anyone else care to take a guess?

BTW Bob, did you happen to see my Sportsman at Portland?
Rick

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »
Thanks Rick. No I didn't make it to Portland, but I'd love to go next year if time permits. The sportsman appeared to be Simplex's last ditch effort to keep their motorbikes going. Shame they didn't come up with a more efficient and dependable motor. Also how is your Sportsman project going. I haven't seen an update in awhile.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:14:48 AM by Bob53 »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:29:40 AM »
Just got the crank last week.  I was away in Florida, so I have not had a chance to put the motor together.  I'm not sure when I will have time in the next few weeks, so it may have to wait until after the new year.
Rick