Author Topic: shiny new fuel filter  (Read 9856 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: shiny new fuel filter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 09:13:23 PM »
I wish it would have been that easy. ???  Found the PO/or their mechanic stripped a engine stud so found out it had no compression. DOH!  Did manage to grind the stripped end down and re-install temporarily to make sure it fires.  Popped right off, so ordered a new stud and continue to steel wool the chrome, clean it, change gear grease, etc... till I can get it on the road for a test ride before flipping it in the spring.  Kinda neat the way the centrifical starter clutch, and the variators work on these type mopeds.  De-comp lever's convienient also.  Clever Italians build a good engine.  Vespas are quality builds

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 09:48:29 PM »
I was just kidding ... It's very rarely that easy .

" Vespas are quality builds"

Always have been .

It's little things like broken studs that discourage POs enough to 'give' good deals . ;)

Pete . :)

Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »
Hey Paul your Simplex is great! You got some good rides to think back on. Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 04:53:46 PM »
Thanks...So many I forget till I see one "out and about" and remember "Hey, I used to have one of those" LOL.  Funny how I remember them by what I had to fix/repair on them before riding and/or re-selling.  I like tinkering with, and learning about new things as much as riding them.  USUALLY... LOL

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 01:43:58 PM »
Paul My 1st. motorized was a Cushman Eagle with 8hp , I was13 yrs. old '47 model production year with a crew cut.  Scooter was a '57 or '58 production year & had been around the block a bunch of times by 1960. A Franklin's worth of worn out fun, but with the help of some older friends (some old enough to be my Grandfather) we brought her back to life. Local upholstry shop did a great job on a new saddle, white & a buddy seat to match that was tuck & roll. Tins slicked out and painted Gulfstream blue (Ford?? color). Chrome crash bars & new grips had her looking great, but the motor was wheezing it's last so it was pulled & I was introduced to the wonders of a real auto machine shop manned by pros. Mag & flywheel re-worked. Bored .060 over, new piston and cam. Do you remember that Isky offered regrinds & Cushman was offered in a 3/4 race & a full race grind!! If anyone has an Honest Charley speed shop catalog from the early '60s you should find a listing for these cause that's where I ordered the full race cam from. Decked the jug, shaved the head & installed a Dellorto carb with shop built manifold & of course pulled the baffle. I've been hooked ever since and to quote the great philosopher Elwood Blue, "Sweet mother of acceleration don't fail us now!"   Recollections while I can still remember them & fewer still alive who can catch me in a lie! Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »
Great tale , Rick C . ;)

I always enjoy stories from the 'early' days .

I have one or two ... maybe I'll remember them , someday . :D

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sweet Z

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 03:55:55 PM »
Thanks guys, I can honestly say, I have enjoyed working on it as much as riding it.  The work, design, fabrication, paint and modifications I have done, although on a budget, (est. at $1100 total) surpassed my expectations.  I appreciate your input and encouragement.  I've "re-done" quite a number of small bikes/motorcycles over the past years as a hobby, but will probably keep this one as my most unique/favorite looking moped.  Hopefully others looking for info. on how to do a "clone motor Servi" can use some of the stuff I've posted to help on their own project.  I'm always happy to pass on what I've learned to anyone who asks. 
Just curious, how were you able to get your Simplex classified as a moped with the HF 212cc engine? I'm putting one into my own bike and would love to register it as a moped too.