Author Topic: Hand controls  (Read 9687 times)

Andyco

• View Profile
    • Email
Hand controls
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:28:20 AM »
Am now a proud owner of a '43 G model Simplex (I think). Its a duplicate of this picture.  http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/3164/Simplex_Canadian_use.jpg.... (Someday I'll learn how to put a pic in message box)...... There are three differences though. My kickstand is in back of the left foot rest, It does have a package rack in the rear and it has a front brake. The brake has me puzzled. If I took the left hand lever and hooked it up to the front brake I wouldn't have a comp release. I'm thinking of using the right lever as a comp release and the left lever as the front brake and installing a twist grip throttle. Did the '43 come with a front brake and if so how were the controls configured? I purchased a couple of throttles at the local motorcycle swap meet last Sun. They're probably from a mini bike or 50's or 60's motorcycles. I'd like to remain as close to stock as possible but I'm not obsessive about it.  I've been lurking this web site for quite a while and find it a font of info. Everyone is stand up. Thanks

pd

• View Profile
Re: Hand controls
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
Welcome Andyco .

Neat bike .
Here's that pic :

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »
As for the controls , the front brake is normally on the right .

At least it has been on every motorcycle I've ever seen .

I believe Wayne has reproduction throttles .

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
As for the controls , the front brake is normally on the right .

At least it has been on every motorcycle I've ever seen .

I believe Wayne has reproduction throttles .

I like MY brake on the right, BUT,  Simplex put them on the left.
Rick

Andyco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:45:27 AM »
I kinda figured the left hand lever to be the brake. Just felt right. Does anyone know if the '43's came with a front brake option and if so how were all the controls configured? If the front brake wasn't offered I might just can it and go with a stock one if I can locate one. The lever on the right is the throttle but it strikes me as counter-intuitive. Why not go with a twist grip. Engineers can be goofy. Also the handlebars don't have a weep hole to exit the throttle cable. I'm thinking that the front brake is maybe from a bicycle????

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »
I kinda figured the left hand lever to be the brake. Just felt right. Does anyone know if the '43's came with a front brake option and if so how were all the controls configured? If the front brake wasn't offered I might just can it and go with a stock one if I can locate one. The lever on the right is the throttle but it strikes me as counter-intuitive. Why not go with a twist grip. Engineers can be goofy. Also the handlebars don't have a weep hole to exit the throttle cable. I'm thinking that the front brake is maybe from a bicycle????

Post a picture of the brake, and then we can stop guessing what you have.  Brakes were standard on the early bikes, I believe.
Rick

Andyco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
Here goes. Brake pic. Did everything to upload as pic as instructed in tips.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 07:25:19 AM »
Now that's something different. Could we get a shot from the rear and from the other side. I would like to see how it attaches to the bike and is that something sticking out there?  ???

Andyco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:03 PM »
Here's some more pics of my front brake I took this morn. The hub on the opposite side of the brake looks kinda modern what with all the lit holes. A internal twist throttle would look cool but not sure if proper for the year. I downloaded the "Model Year Differences" PDF file and it looks like the twist throttle came well after 1943

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:55:13 AM »
I am not sure, but I don't think that is a simplex brake setup.  Is the drum 5"?  Simplex went to their own 5" brake hub around 1939. The axle looks too small in diameter in the pictures also. 

As for twist throttle and compression release, both were available in the 1930's.  If you look under the handgrips, are there holes in the handlebars.  Post some pictures of handlebars and of the rear brake lever please.
Rick

Andyco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
Okay. Some pics of the handlebars and foot brake. I didn't want to pull the grips. Would have to cut them I think. They don't look original though.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
According to some literature I have, a model G would have the brake lever on the left, and the throttle and compression release could be either lever or twist grip.  If they were lever type, they would both be on the right side. If I remember correctly, this is the same setup Wayne has on his 1939 Servi-Glide that I rode at Portland 2 years ago.
Rick

Andyco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 07:31:05 PM »
Hey Riks: Thanks for all the input. If I'm understanding  correctly,  I can use the lever on the left as a brake, the lever on the right for comp release and use a twist grip throttle and this would all be something offered by Simplex? Now then, where to get a period correct throttle??? Since there are no holes in the handle bars would a twist throttle be a pretty much stock motorcycle throttle?  Also I would like to get a pair of correct grips. Or at least something close....One of the cool things about these bikes is the comments I get. They pretty much go "what the hell is that", and "never heard of 'em." 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 02:19:12 AM »
I would call Wayne and ask him what he has available.  I think he has the grips available, and the parts for a twist throttle shouldn't be a problem either.  If I was going to put a twist throttle on, I would drill the hole in the handlebars for it.
Rick

Andyco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 07:45:26 AM »
Talked to Wayne. Interesting guy. We're both in trucking so connected right off. Twist grip throttle on the way. Thanks everyone.