Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 164842 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
This is the on/off road clone bike engine I was referring to... I bought for $350 and re-sold for $700 last year.  (kinda fun but lightweight for real offroad use).  It was a Redcat label but is a generic engine with 5 speed transmission. I've seen/worked on quite a few. (sorry for poor quality photos as my computer skills in resizing photos are nill) I've come across these engine in a couple of different products and are generally a decent build but the biggest problem is poor quality fasteners/hardware. (soft)  Most issues can be remedied with upgraded bolts, etc...They now make them with larger displacements also. (200-300cc) Note: I forgot when looking up parts, it was listed under CG-150 engine parts designation although the manufacturer listing was GY-150#, thus the confusion.  That's what happens when your dealing between Taiwan and/or Chinese made stuff.
That would seem to be the puppy I plan to use Carryall. I've also seen these used in offroad bikes & have much first hand experience with the poor quality fasteners and hardware on some Chinese motors and products in general (often refered to as butter bolt grade) I build motorized bicycles also along with hotrods and offroad vehicles so have ordered a lot of stuff from the east, some good others no so much. Thanks for your input.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
Feel free to post some pictures of your other projects that are not simplex.  We don't desciminate around here.  Lol.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
It seems to me all this talk about these engines is a moot point if they really are 20" tall.  A simplex has about 15" of room maximum under the gas tank, and that is if you remove the frame member that holds the tank in. 

To fit one of these engines you would have to really increase the size of the frame by stretching the two front down tubes and the back bone.  I see this as do-able, while still keeping the character of the Simplex, but would be quite a bit of work.
Hey Rick your correct about limited space, it's a tight vertical fit. I've put bigger power plants in smaller spaces and it is a lot of work! The 20" height was for a 200cc motor and I'm hoping the 150cc is a bit shorter,...it's a gamble on my part as I really would like to keep the original wheel base &  frame height as is, but if the motor is much too large I'll probably opt out for a HF 160cc for my Simplex resto-mod and use the CG-150 on a drop loop bicycle build.  I remain optimistic that the CG-150 will work, yet I've been wrong before. Thanks for your input! 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »
Sweet bike .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 06:47:47 PM »
Thanks for your comment Pete, I really like building the little bikes...so light, simple and lively. Takes me back to an earlier day...you'll never see fuel injection (except mechanical) on any of my builds. Bike or automotive. Old school all the way.

I got to thinking about the 15" clearance that Rick S. mentioned & did some measuring and digging in my parts bins and came up with an idea which should work with even a 20" height and keep the main frame in tact. Remove lower tank support, remove existing motor mount plate. This gains some room, but necessitates building MC style motor mounts to the Simplex frame without using a plate. Need more than this gain.

Then I dug up two brand new peanut tanks from motorized bike builds. Same size as is shown mounted on my Indian Scout moto-bicycle in previous post. They are 2 liter size,quite small and fit almost as if they were made for the Simplex in the allocated tank space. One filler cap on each side of the spring bar, be quite simple to join together and mount in stock tank location. First trial fit showed 19" between the bottom of the tank's and the motor plate. Only two of us in the shop today, during the week probably would have had several "loafers" hanging around, so holding them in place and taking photos wasn't something I wanted to mess with...but I'll snap some photos this week to help you understand what I'm talking about. The two tanks actually look good in the stock tank position.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 05:18:33 PM »
I've just gone through some photos in the gallery taken at Portland 2012. Great shots & looks like a good time for sure. After seeing the photos of the Simplex with a Gravely T-head engine (40+cubic inches) I'm not worried at all about mounting a 150cc 5speed in my little frame! To top it all I also saw a Mustang motorcyce on Youtube with an Ariel square four engine mounted (looked awesome) as did the Simplex /Gravely. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 08:31:48 PM »
Ordering & gathering parts. Sta-tru steel wheels came in,12ga.stainless steel spokes, chrome steel rim 2.215" x26" disc up-front & coaster brake rear. Really heavy duty I've used them on other builds as well as Workman.  I like them both. I'm mounting Duro flame 2.4" on both. I'm planning on running a bike bottom bracket & peddles with wide crank & reduction gear on motor side. I also plan on running 2 peanut tanks side by side in the stock Simplex location which gives about 20" vertical space for the CG-150.They actually fill the stock tank location well & hold 4 liters total. I also received a 210mm 3/8" axle for the rear wheel, along with two thread-on 14mm axle adaptors for the half inch rear drops which I'll bring out to 14mm also & use BMX style wheel adjusters. I've also ordered a 58 tooth sprocket & sprocket hub adaptor. My design plan is to make a Simplex which in concept harkens back to the early 1900s period of motobike building...peddles, small bike frames, bicycle tires, coaster brakes. At the same time upgrading with disc brakes, multispeed, electric start & power...while retaining the inherent stance, size, nimbleness & attitude of the Simplex.

I was also notified that the Sunlite dual springer forks had shipped along with the flame tires, no word on the power plant. Headset parts already here. Rick C.   

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 06:06:18 AM »
So you'll be combining the pedal and engine drivetrains into chain drive then?

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
Yes peddle and chain both sides, till motor comes in I won't know where to place the bottom bracket to best advantage. Tried to add photos of gas tank location a couple of times & keep getting error message about being full. Seemed to be sized right?? RC

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
I have same problem posting pics...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
I have same problem posting pics...

Email the picture to me that you are having a problem posting so I can see what the issue is.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 06:45:22 PM »
"Upload folder is full" is the error message, I'm pretty sure I'm sized abot the same as the last pic postings but I'll double check.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »
"Upload folder is full" is the error message, I'm pretty sure I'm sized abot the same as the last pic postings but I'll double check.

Try posting them again.  I emptied out the error logs, maybe that will help.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »
Tried again Rick yet no joy...same error message only 2 photos attached each 1024x768 89.5kb each

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 04:03:02 AM »
Test
Rick