Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 164795 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »
 It's been good riding weather here in Yuma . If it's been anything close in Indian Territory I can see why you've been putting projects off . :o :D

Just kidding .

The leaf spring project would be an interesting endeavor .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 30, 2018, 04:12:55 AM »
It's been decent riding weather here in the late afternoon for the last few days, but I got in a few hours of work as well.

The girder forks came in and the are robust plate steel 5/16" thick, 1/2" solid steel girders and really heavy duty tapered legs, which appear to be a minimum of .120 mm wall tube tapered down from 7/16" to 1/2" by 1/2" wide. They are wide enough for 2.5" tires by 26" with 1" steer tube. I'm mounting this one on my old Grubee bike frame and ordering another to use as the basis of a 4 leaf Indian style springer fork. Which I hope to use on an upcoming moto bicycle build.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 30, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
Looks to be pretty decent quality .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 05, 2018, 07:05:22 AM »
Now that it's on the bike I like, but it was not a quick change out. Dropping the head of the frame by more than 4" demanded a lot of changes to other areas of of the bike. The saddle became a "ski ramp" & no way to stay off the frame tank until the rear came down to within an inch or the rear tire. That solved and it was time to adjust the bars up a lot 'cause to reach them required lying flat down on the tank, board racer style, looked pretty cool but no position for a 70 year old to ride in. Once the bars were up brake and clutch controls had to be adjusted the combination of these things required a shortening of all the cables (not yet accomplished). Then the engine had to be re positioned in the  frame 'cause it had almost become a horizontal jug at that point, now with the motor back in a more vertical state the motor drive chain was too tight & a link had to be removed...which resulted in a change in rear axle/wheel position, which you guessed it caused the pedal side chain to loose and a half link was then required to bring some order back into my world. But wait the rear exhaust bracket wasn't long enough and a new one had to be fabricated as well. I won't go into my efforts to get the disk rotor and caliper to function with the billet fork/disk brake adapter that is advertised as "bolt on ready to easily convert virtually most any fork into a disc brake compatible setup". 

As for the fork itself nothing but praise and bolted right up, but after that...wow!

Before the little silver bike had a motocross bike look and feel. Now looks a lot more vintage & feels sporty as heck. It was all worth it to me on both the bikes I just changed forks on. I will clean up the rat's nest of cables on both bikes as well, when I decide everything else is working properly.  Rick C.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 05, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
Rick ,

Lookin' good .
Now you know it 'fits' , paint or powder coat ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: February 05, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
Looking good Rick.  I can’t wait to see what you do to convert one of those front ends to a leaf spring.  If you need front rockers, I have a bunch of Simplex ones that would probably work well.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 05, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
Pete, my favorite color is aged metal, so the almost 4 year old aluminum frame is just getting a bit of distressed look to it; which in my mind is good. The fork being steel could end up painted flat black or oxidize & get a stop rust coating...which turns the rust flat black. The brass and copper pieces have aged to brown.

This frame has about 10,000 miles on it (engine too) I build and really ride all my bikes, but this one is my daily rider & I've no reason why, though I've developed a curiousity as to how far it can go. My Simplex has less than a thousand miles in two years + & the Harley tribute maybe 600. My Indian "Outlaw" that I put the 4 spring Harley syle fork on may have as much as 2,000 miles of riding all the others less. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 05, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
Thanks Rick, I have 4 leaf, 1750 lb. utility trailer spring that I'll cut and taper & the 2nd. girder style fork is on order. I used the 1957 Simplex fork on my Harley Peashooter build & the cast rockers were a big reason I did. I actually intended to ask if there were any available, so I'm interested just P.M. a price & photo. Of course if they are the same style as the '57 I'll not need a photo. I think the cast rockers will add a lot to the look I'm after to utilize with the leaf fork project for an early loop frame Indian bike build powered by a 20 + hp Predator 212 and 3-D manual clutch that is in the motor shop now awaiting a performance build. Right now I'm spending money but not accomplishing much in the way of  fabrication. V-twin build's fuel tank is progressing with the cylinder built and baffles installed, but now I'm stalled with the old bikes reworks included a couple of modifications to my Simplex tribute, Copper gator.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 05, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
Rick ,

I like the old metal look , too .

Here's a pic of the CB750 I built about 15 years ago . That is actually a hammered grey paint , although it looks one color smooth in that shot .

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:44:22 PM by pd »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 05, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
Those are such great bikes & you did a fine job with her Pete; grey or silver paint or powder...looks super.   Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 05, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »
Thanks Rick .

They really are nice bikes . It served me well for more than 7 years .
I'd do another , but I want a shop before I tackle a build like that . ;)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 06, 2018, 05:33:52 AM »
Pete are you still in the Yuma area?  Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: February 06, 2018, 05:56:34 AM »
Rick, I sent you an email, did you get it?
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:06 AM »
Yes Rick & thanks so much! Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 06, 2018, 07:11:16 AM »
Yes , Rick .

We're still South of Yuma . Nice and dry .
We'll probably leave here about mid March and find that elusive 75° . Not that we're complaining about the low 80s .  ;)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:13:01 AM by pd »