Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 164849 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Simplex 5 speed build
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »
Starting out with what I (now) think is a 1957 Simplex automatic frame...no engine or drive train, with the exception of rear wheel & shieve. Frame looks straight and no rust or cracks detected. I have a Honda CG150 clone/ 5 speed on order with both kick and electric start & am praying it doesn't get tied up on the docks at Port of L.A. strike.

Vertical engine space is an issue, but since the original tank is missing I'll hope for the best and just wing it. I've been building cars, trucks and bikes for about 50 years now, but this is my first Simplex. I would like those familiar with Simplex cycles who see my resto-mod to recognize it's original pedigree while discovering & counting the changes made.

Among the major changes will be a chain drive featuring a large rear sprocket, in order to keep top end speed down. Being an older fellow I've adjusted my pace to more coincide with a walk rather than a run, yet I'll enjoy being able to cross highways and not be accused of attempted suicide by Peterbilt!

My time frame on the build, if the engine comes on a timely basis, is late March or early April. We'll see.  Rick C.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
Ok Rick w/a C, is this GC150 with the transmission together? Or is it two separate components? I've been thinking of using a small atv motor and trans assy. but the frame needs a inch or two more in length. Oh by the way Howdy from Texas. Do you have a picture of the style of motor you as re using?

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »
Can't wait to see the out come. Post a lot of pictures.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »
Ok Rick w/a C, is this GC150 with the transmission together? Or is it two separate components? I've been thinking of using a small atv motor and trans assy. but the frame needs a inch or two more in length. Oh by the way Howdy from Texas. Do you have a picture of the style of motor you as re using?
Greetings from Indian Territory. Spent many years based in Houston, loved Texas but don't miss the big city. Don't have photo of the engine...it's a CG150 with integral 5 speed a clone of the Honda thats used in the Brazilian manufactured Titan motorcycles and also used in the current California Scooter that is a design based on the old Mustang motorcycle. I don't have measurements on the 150cc but the 200cc 5 speed is listed as 20"h x16"L x 14"w, the 200cc is also an integral 5 speed design.

These motors are vertical cylinder design with 12v electric start and kick start. Kw conversion comes out to about  13 hp @7000 rpm if my information source is correct. Shipping weight is about 80lbs. Check you tube for vids of the California scooter and you'll see the design in a small frame (they use 150cc, 200cc & 250cc 5 speeds in their small cycle builds. Rick C.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
Well Rick w/a C you need to give up some info. I have looked on utube found a vid of some guys riding aroung some airplane hangers. Not a bad looking motor assy. if I saw the right style. As for Houston you carry yourself as if you lived on the southside closer to Pasadena or maybe north of the dome. Me myself I'm northside or was northside till I momed west to Brenham. So when did you live there?  ???

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:59 PM »
And what website did you find a motor for sale on?  ???

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 02:23:39 AM »

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 03:24:35 AM »
Looks very similar to the GY-150 style engines used in Redcat, Flywing, etc...On/off road clone bikes.  (I bought/sold one last year) 

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »
Oil lamp good catch, Based in Houston area between 1974 & 1994 initially lived in Pasadena, cedar street,  latter across Gulf Fwy. off Telephone Rd. Tough area, mostly ship channel industry workers big Bandido MC territory, no problem if you rode independant without colors.  Caught some breaks and moved out to Bearcreek area N. of I-10 west ....before selling my company (manufacturing) in 1992 I lived off Memorial & Chimney Rock (Tanglewood addition). Houston was good to me but I longed for small town life back in Oklahoma & here I've retired & remained since 1994.  Love Brenham, Tx. good choice!

The industrial airpark Youtube video you watched shows what I believe is a 150cc like the one I have coming. The engine I have coming is one of several ordered by an aquaintance of mine direct from Taiwan thus my concern with the dock strike in L.A. I have no idea of the details involved on his end and the quoted price delivered was under $500. without any front money from me. Even though CDI, carb etc. are included the misc. gaskets, exhaust, voltage reg., battery etc. will probably involve another $200/$300.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »
Holy crap on a cracker! I was just taking a stab at your past residents,shoot I must be psychic. Dang, only if I could see the up coming lotto numbers that would be great. Well Rick w/ a C you never know we could of crossed paths back in the day. Spooky isn't it.  :o well keep up updated with the on going project. What other parts are you looking for so we can keep a eye out for them.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »
Carryall the GY-150's I've seen all have a jug which lays more horizontal, making it quite long in comparison to the vertcal jug design of the CG or CB 150 Honda engine. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »
Carryall the GY-150's I've seen all have a jug which lays more horizontal, making it quite long in comparison to the vertcal jug design of the CG or CB 150 Honda engine.

Oil lamp, If you rode on the North side might have played pool or hung out at Gunny's west of old Spring quite co to see a couple hundred bikes stacked around that old shack on a Sunday afternoon...nice riding in those days on up in Montgomery county to lake Conroe and beyond, before everything got civilized! Kid sister has lived in old Spring for over 30 years...lot of good memories for sure. Rick C.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:39:24 AM »
Myself I never made it there. The wife remembers that place. Ever spend time running the clubs on Westheimer 79 - 81 ?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »
This is the on/off road clone bike engine I was referring to... I bought for $350 and re-sold for $700 last year.  (kinda fun but lightweight for real offroad use).  It was a Redcat label but is a generic engine with 5 speed transmission. I've seen/worked on quite a few. (sorry for poor quality photos as my computer skills in resizing photos are nill) I've come across these engine in a couple of different products and are generally a decent build but the biggest problem is poor quality fasteners/hardware. (soft)  Most issues can be remedied with upgraded bolts, etc...They now make them with larger displacements also. (200-300cc) Note: I forgot when looking up parts, it was listed under CG-150 engine parts designation although the manufacturer listing was GY-150#, thus the confusion.  That's what happens when your dealing between Taiwan and/or Chinese made stuff.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:53:12 AM by carryall »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
It seems to me all this talk about these engines is a moot point if they really are 20" tall.  A simplex has about 15" of room maximum under the gas tank, and that is if you remove the frame member that holds the tank in. 

To fit one of these engines you would have to really increase the size of the frame by stretching the two front down tubes and the back bone.  I see this as doable, while still keeping the character of the Simplex, but would be quite a bit of work.
Rick