Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166771 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
Weather finally turning around here & I took the Simplex frame out of my garage and into the shop. I've some concern about frame damage and will cut & sleeve those sections, tru the frame and cut off the crash bars & foot pads while cleaning up (removing) all existing mounting brackets for engine, drive train & controls. I'm going for an ultra clean and minimalistic frame which I'm hoping will result in a board style bike which will also include peddle drive capability .  I'm looking for a racer profile not unlike what a 1920-ish Servi-cycle would have looked like, if the company had existed in the heyday of board track racing. In other words it's pure fantasy on my part!  RickC.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
Trimmed the crash bars and footpads. Removed the bottom tank support, control tabs, rear triangle gusset bars & motor mount plate. I ordered a couple of 20 foot sticks of 1" DOM tubeing and it arrived this am. Photo shows (poorly) some lower frame issues consisting of various dents and bends. Replacement of damaged tubing is the best route to follow. So I'll be working on the frame a bit. 1.5" tubeing for the exhaust also delivered, but the exhaust flange, copper gasket, collets & studs are coming from the Orient. 150cc engine still tied up in port of L.A. mess so it's full ahead with the CG125 5 speed. 44 tooth sprocket and hub adaptor also came in but the 13 tooth engine sprocket has not. Bunch of stuff still on it's way. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:49 PM »
More parts, new Mikuni 25mm carb with left hand choke & intake manifold (rubber with O-rings). Also 420 chain & 13 tooth engine sprocket to  match up with the 44 tooth rear completes the drive train hook up to the sprocket hub adaptor. 1.5" x 15" muffler and shift lever scheduled in by UPS latter today.   

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
A lot of nice parts going into this build!  With all that frame damage, maybe you should stretch the neck and wheelbase a little for more engine clearance?  I wonder if the proportions would be ok with a 3" neck stretch and a 3" backbone stretch.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »
Rick we've been considering 3" to 4" certainly for the extra room it will afford the engine, but also wheelbase & increased stability at cruising speeds. I'd hate to put the effort in and then hate the finished ride qualities. Thanks for your interest. Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »
Are you going to do anything to "customize" the look of the engine such as, polish the cases or accent color the head, jewel cut fins, etc...  Just curious? 

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 07:25:45 AM »
Initially I'd planned a 150cc electric start for this bike, which was solid black which I thought to  contrast with polished head & cases along with chrome motor mounts, bits and pieces and natural alloy carb. L.A. dock strike prompted the order of the silver, kick start 125cc engine. The finish on the motor is really quite good as it is, yet the lack of contrast is a bit boring I'll admit and a partial polish & powdercoat of engine parts would be sweet. I'll kick this around till I have a rolling chassis to look upon. 
Rear sprocket hub adaptor allows left to right adjustment of rear sprocket & .75" of additional chain clearence to clear wheel & tire. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »
Added Avid calipers to the dual springer front forks.  These mount on right fork leg just opposite of mountain bike so wheel is flopped & if you mounted the tire as normal (as I have) the tread is reversed & will have to be remounted. Necessary brake cable length also affected. I'll run a 160mm caliper which I've used for many years on mountain bikes and motorized bikes. Avid products are very high quality yet are modestly priced, simple to mount and maintain...pads and rotar change out in minutes. Dozens of back to back 30 to 50 mph checks and stops are common in the mountais so they have to be good. Course I don't ride that agressively anymore, but many of the lads do. Since I so often use the rear coaster in my builds I don't skimp on the front brake. Chains will separate on odd occassions & even odder things usually occur after that!

The picture shows the dual springer fork set up correctly with thin rubber bushing on top of bracket with the thicker one under the bracket & on top of the springs. This helps eliminate springer "bunny hop" or shudder on heavy front brakeing or when "wash board" roads occur.  Rick C.   

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
Bare frame ready for modifications at shop.  RC

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
Man that thing is beat up.. Good luck, I'm sure you'll fix it.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
Butch poor thing looks even worse up close!  Photos don't do it justice, but one of the jobs we do in this shop is rebuild wrecked and worn out commercial trailers...big rigs. Sometimes it takes three totaled trailers to make one that will pass DOT certifications (large equipment means huge devastation in the wake of a crash) think this little frame will be quite easy in light of our normal activity. Rick C.     

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »
Ever consider how many vendors are used to supply parts for a custom build...32 different vendors so far on this Simplex Cajun Gator, with some suppliers providing multiple parts, kinda surprised me when I collected all the receipts in one file!  Rick C.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2015, 02:10:16 PM »
Rick C.  My custom  Stretched and Lowered green bike was built out of five countries and three continents!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
I've been down that road . I keep a file on every bike or other sizable project .
My XT350 was built with parts from all over the country and Asia and Japan .
The world 'seems' to be getting smaller . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »
Kart Jockey, Just finished going completely through your "stretched and lowered" build...very nice job to date & I gleaned some much valued insight for stretching my "distressed frame" a bit. You used 9" bottom & 6" up top. I'd originally planned on scabbing 4" on bottom but after seeing your project & some additional visualization on my part I've settled on a lower 6" & 4" top tube stretch. In addition I'm favoring bending all new tubing from the head to the drops. I have been bending tube for half a century & have a 10 year old Huth hydraulic tube bender to utilize on the fab work. Thanks for that inspiration as well.

Pete you & the Kart Jockey been out-sourcing a bunch too. Thanks to all the guys that post up and inspire as well as inform the rest of us to get it done. I'm nursing a bad back but it's on the mend while my shop guys are working on the 1946 Chevy truck I just been supervising & paying the bills, but holding off on the Simplex build allowed me time to learn a bit more, again thanks! Rick C.