Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166908 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »
I'd not even considered a Indian leaf spring on the Gator, but think it'd be rad. I'll certainly build one for the Indian style drop loop board tracker... with a kick start clone. What I've envisioned is a two leaf stack spring, girder design with small drum brake on a Workman's wheel. All business build with very little glitz. Thanks for your encouragement. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
I've had some of the copper worked to basic shape for awhile now & will be adding a bit at a time. Copper is a pretty unique metal in that what you think you created isn't exactly what you get. This is largely due to ageing of the surface actually changes from bright raw "cooper" color to form a multi-color "patina" that is very subtle & subdued not shiny & bright, but diversely & intricately patterned. It almost forms into a texture which is seen but can't be felt. All this is an ongoing process which actually never ends...the metal in this narrow construct could be viewed as living! Of course artist have recognized this for thousands of years, but in this tech crazed generation it's too often over looked.

Using this material in a moto-bike presents a visual problem especially when more than a few parts of larger size are grouped in proximity. Especially in photo viewing, but even on location. Subtle detail vanishes in the brilliance of raw copper. A heavily "hammered" sheet of copper appears smooth as a mirror in many lighting conditions. Patina will change this in due course, but while fabricating a piece or viewing it mounted one just has to imagine what it will look like 5 years from the day.

I've run into this in the past and have "chemically aged" for a patina effect & it helps a great deal, but to me it looks un-natural because it is! I may age the larger pieces of copper to help decide if copper is what I want in that location & later polish it off and allow time to form it's own work on the metal canvas, it's just more natural!

If copper doesn't work in a certain spot it will be discarded to the scrap bin. It's just difficult to know when it sparkles like chrome & hides it's beauty behind the gaudy glitz of color.  Rick C.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »
Patina or no , that's a nice piece of work .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2016, 06:04:09 AM »
Thanks Mr. Pete this has been a really fun project for me and continues to be so. I actually shelved it for 4 months when my health became a concern, but I could have had the guys work on it some during that period. The fact is I lost any vision of what I wanted it to look like, but during the layoff I reset the perimeters of my originals design goals by expanding them while simplifying most of the fundamental components. Minimalist with detail. I can't deny that I very much enjoy having others approve of my work especially when they have a better understanding of what I'm basing my efforts on than I do. You guys know Simplex's & I just don't, perhaps someday I will, but I do know what I like and you guys have built some really sweet Servi-cycles...re-stores & mods.

I show cars and trucks at at 3 or 4 shows a year cause it's fun not for the trophies. I've been encouraged to bring my various moto-bicycles and enter them. Each year I decline though I usually bring one along to ride about the show grounds and it seems to gather huge interest. The Copper Gator will be an entry this year in the custom motorcycle division & I will show case it along with my Indian tribe of motos as a back drop not entries. Trailer them in pulled by the 1946 Chevy rat-rod pickup. Just planning some fun. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »
Quick explanation about previous posts photos. Sprocket photo. I've decided to build a copper & steel cover over the drive side sprockets for safety & appearance. Also the exhaust is not yet brazed in place & the gas tank end caps aren't yet complete or permanently affixed. Rick C.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2016, 06:39:09 AM »
It's really nice to see someone work that has true skill at a craft.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2016, 06:10:06 AM »
Thanks Rick I'm watching your stretch & know what you're dealing with... one detail at a time, while staying on track with your design. You & others warned me, early on, that the Simplex would be a tight fit with the 5 speed and I'm so glad I listened & measured...way more than twice; while proceeding with caution. You can't build without adequate space. I barely left enough room even after all that!

I really like what you are about and  what Kart Jockey did with his modified...he left plenty of room in his beautiful "stretch" machine for all necessary components. I don't try to inject myself often into other guys builds especially when I see they are proceeding beautifully without my 2 cents worth, but I do watch with great interest & learn more about these wonderful little motos. Rick C.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2016, 01:08:49 PM »
Rick C.  You are not so bad yourself!    Thanks.   You will have a nice head turner yourself to ride around in Portland this July!

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2016, 06:44:13 PM »
Oil lamp I appreciate your work as well, but if you had witnessed a couple of my botched attempts today... That said the day turned out quite nicely despite my worst efforts.

I pulled the exhaust after securing each section with screws & silver soldered with 55% silver braze rod. I'll finish up tomorrow by wrapping black fiberglass header heat tape around the SS section. I'll soak the wrap in water tonight.

Also mounted a small copper engine side plate cover. Hope to finish the round cover & mount it tomorrow as well. Still trying to envision a sprocket cover, but it alludes me for the moment. Most who see it think it's finished, but much remains to be completed.  Rick C.     

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2016, 03:08:50 AM »
Maybe extend a small tapered chain guard forward, turning into a half moon "sprocket cover"?  Just throwing ideas out....

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
I like your suggestion & words like tapered, small & half-moon suggest style & are helpful. One local fellow said that it would probably tear my calf off...not inspiring & all he's built over the last 50 years is a beer belly.

Photos will have to tell the story for now. No they won't I haven't re-sized them yet. Post 'em later and see what you think.

I accomplished a lot today & kart jockey.... Portland sounds such fun & I thought about your not so subtle hint as I labored on the Gator. Much as I like the car shows they're really not excellent venues for bikes of any type. Average Joe wouldn't know a Shovel head from a Pan head and if you used the term Knuckle head he'd probably think I was making fun of him. A scooter and small bike gathering really makes a lot of sense & then there is the fun aspect. Trophies, who cares? Just show me the crazy cool & the well done. Summer is crazy busy here & I haven't taken a summer vacation in over 25 years, but I really haven't wanted to... till now!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »
Well then , we'll see you in Portland . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »
My pleasure Pete. Few photos taken today most were worse than my normal low quality.
Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
Yesterday 80 degrees here in Indian Territory & 70's today. Worked most of the day & rode the rest.

Progress made in small details that are important to me & if you see the difference, maybe important to you as well. Good day, but the Simplex never left the shop. One of the guys was looking for the shop's cat "Ratchet" & one of the guys suggested that the Gator ate him. Seriously I brought it to the shop first week in December & in a couple of rides totaled maybe 3 miles.

Tomorrow the chains go back on and I'll get the rear set up & locked down...good weather forecast & I'm riding tomorrow. Don't need a chain guard for that. Rick C.   

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
Rode The Copper Gator for about 20 minutes this afternoon, no problems although the morning was spent making a clutch bracket that would give me enough adjustment to fully  disengage the clutch. It now works properly. Copper exhaust finally got hot enough to make some rainbow colors. No wind and 60 degrees a glorious day. It was 80 degrees two days ago & could go as high as 85 next Thursday. El nino been a good little boy for us here in Indian Territory all last year & to date.

This little engine has got some serious grunt just blipped it to cross highway traffic & felt the front end trying to lift even though the throttle response is kinda slow. Checked the plug and it's running rich, didn't foul the plug I'll wait till I run it for awhile at a brisker pace. Actually don't know what jetting was shipped with the Mikuni 22 mm, but feature going smaller, unless a hotter plug works. NGK will be replacing the no name it was shipped with. 

Steering... got to be careful not to over steer. It's very quick & reacts accurately to rider input, but if you stop riding and try driving her around tight corners you better be both quick and strong.  I'm thinking of using a stabilzer & or stops...at least till I get used to it.  All in all I'm pleased just not finished.  Rick C.