Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166790 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #300 on: May 31, 2016, 06:01:04 AM »
Well hmmm, no photo...try again & do it right this time!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: May 31, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »
Well hmmm, no photo...try again & do it right this time!

Rick, you can fix your message if you make an error, just click the modify button in the upper right of your message.  It is right next to the Quote button.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 31, 2016, 07:10:39 AM »
Thanks Rick 'cause I make plenty errors!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: May 31, 2016, 09:19:43 AM »
Thanks Rick 'cause I make plenty errors!

Don't we all!  I should start a "Box of Shame" for all my failed efforts.  LOL
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »
Rick ,

Your failures , plus every member would have something to contribute . That would be the fastest growing thread on the site .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2016, 10:08:31 AM »
Rick ,

Your failures , plus every member would have something to contribute . That would be the fastest growing thread on the site .

Us guys that like to expirement definitely make our share of missteps.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
Workin' our way to the likes of Burt Monro . ;)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2016, 01:30:59 PM »
I have a hard enough time just being me.

Okay I beat some copper for the top plate, just mounted the top plate, but it has a smooth copper bottom plate as well. The other two plates will receive a partial copper covering only & none underneath. The bottom of the top plate is high enough and at an angle that exposes it's lower side & no one wants that on public display. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2016, 02:03:34 PM »
Cut the loop out of the frame along with the down tube today. The engine fits but with only a little to spare front to rear...running pedals takes up a good bit of space inside the frame.

I've now plenty of vertical space the removable Keystone cradle mount is the key to gaining space and lowering the center of gravity. I'll have almost 5" of ground clearance & about 2" between the tire and down tube. Pedals, kick start lever, shift lever, exhaust all seem to be in fine position.

I'll flip the down tube cut off and use it again. Duck taped it for the photo in approximate position.

Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
Been awhile since the Copper Gator Simplex was finished & I'm glad to report trouble free performance during the first 120 hrs. of operation. Longest ride to date was about 50 miles total. 85% of those miles were at speeds under 45 mph. I'm so glad I choose the CG 125 5 speed clone as a power plant...it's been very impressive, extremely smooth and trouble free over the entire course.

Since I'm building another bike with the same engine it's doubly good news for me! The Harley Peashooter build is slowly progressing & I'm including some updated photos for those interested. The Simplex fork is working out wonderfully well and most who are familiar with early Harley's misidentify it as a genuine Harley fork. Which is why I chose to save it for the HD build and use another type dual springer on the Simplex gator. The Harley actually has more original Simplexs parts on it than my completed simplex had, both in number and in weight.  Rick C.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:56:31 PM by ndian22 »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
A note of explanation...the steel plates are the work support stands and not foot pads! lol Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 22, 2016, 03:27:50 AM »
Some progress on the Harley.     Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2016, 06:07:46 AM »
I took the Harley (not a replica, but a tribute) out for a pedal ride with motor mounted, but not yet running just to get a feel for how the bike works. I do this with all my pedal builds because without the motor running I can feel and hear the bike itself just revealing itself, flaws are readily "felt" on these shake down pedal cruises. I live in a town with quite a few hills, several quite steep where pedal speeds can reach well past the legal posted limits. Unfortunately some streets are in need of repair as well so I'm able to mix my trial rides with a bit of variety with which to pass judgement.

The rolling chassis/engine combination performed well, though my pedal gearing is so low that it just crawls along...uphill or on flats about the same.  The bike does pedal without much effort though.The Simplex forks worked really well as I'd been told by several forum members they would and I'm pleased that I selected them for my latest pedal moto bicycle build...I've had a lot of visitors stop by and look at the progress and most comment on the Simplex fork as looking so period correct for a Harley, which echos my own opinion as well.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2016, 07:21:24 AM »
Shakedown runs are always interesting . Good or bad , they prove what you did .

About the pedal speed : you really didn't plan on having to really use those much anyway , right ?

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »
Pete that's correct on the pedaling part but I do need the chain for the coaster brake to function. Testing on those hills I mentioned required a truck and trailer for the repeat runs. I'm just not in any condition at the moment to do much hill climbing although the 1.5 to 1 overdrive does pretty good on a climb...13 tooth up front and I think 24 t on the rear of the pedal drive lol. I can walk almost as fast as I can pedal this one on the flats and that would entail really spinning the pedal levers! The Simplex Copper Gator had enough room for a larger front sprocket which was a little higher than one to one ratio making it the speed king of the two while pedaling on the flats (by a couple of MPH) but the Harley would win in the hills no doubt.