Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166810 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #345 on: January 20, 2017, 05:38:59 AM »
If I didn't already have the brown leather bags (and grips), I might have considered just doing the seat in black.  Either way, I have time to think some more on the details since he's really busy, and won't get to my project for a month or so.  I definitely wanted the full skirt starting at the seat nose.  It's a classic design, and will also help fill in the space under the seat and accent the frame line.  I figure the seat rail should go nicely with the rest of the stainless steel used on the bike also.  I had been debating on re-doing the seat since I've pretty much finished the bike.  On one hand, it's a 70yr+ survivor but, it is pretty rotted out, and is starting to tear around the edges and paper thin in spots, so, may as well do it now over the winter...I've completely "re-done" the whole bike to my own liking, such as the painted motor, fishtail exhaust, intake design, etc. so I might as well put a custom seat on it that I designed too. (I did consider buying another seat pan to "do", and keeping the old one but, then it would probably just sit on a shelf in the storage unit and be forgotten to rot anyways.  Why waste money?)     

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 26, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Harley Peashooter updated photos.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2017, 06:09:15 AM »
I'll be starting a detachable sidecar build for the Simplex Copper Gator when I complete the Harley Peashooter. I way over built the new Simplex frame with this option in mind, just didn't want to tackle both concurrently. In the planning stage now but want to be able to haul an average size adult in it, yet keep the sidecar total unloaded weight well under 100 lbs. which coupled with the bike is still under 250 lbs. and that is less than the factory bikes produced by Honda asked the 125 cc 5 speed to pull at over 70 mph! I have no doubt the frame and engine drive train can handle the load. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2017, 07:06:41 AM »
Sounds very doable to me , Rick C .

I look forward to watch that build .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: February 09, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
I love the idea of a "hack" on the Servicycle.  I've built a couple of them, last one from a 70's pedal car body for the grandson.  So many cool designs out there, it would be hard to pick.  I really like the look of the miniature VW Van ones, but wouldn't look quite right on a Servi IMO.  IF I did one for a "stock"" looking Servicycle, I think I would go with a small, classic looking canvas covered "military type" style maybe?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:32:58 AM by carryall »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
Rick, build it and bring it to Portland!  I want first dibs on a ride!
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 09, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »
Lost my long post to you guys but will catch you all up later. Photos won't cut it without explanations as to dimensions etc. but the kayak seems the way I'll proceed and modify to taste. Should end up 5 and half long by25" wide and 16" deep, cut just behind the seat...,weighs less than 30 lbs. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 09, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
Rick I really would like to attend and meet you all and share machines and experiences, and let you guys ride my little bikes...you're first ride on the Gator and I'll sit in the chair. if it comes about this year it will be a last minute decision based on my day to day activities and getting a co driver to take a week off as well.

One day I will be 100 percent retired, but I've been trying to do just that for more than two decades. Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: February 11, 2017, 05:46:31 AM »
Couple more hacks.  I'd like to "find" a Vespa/Stella scooter one on C.L. for a reasonable price but, the one on the black bike would go on a Servicycle really nicely I think?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:48:26 AM by carryall »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: February 11, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
Really digging the boat!!

I love those old Chris-Craft and Hacker-Craft boats.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:24:37 AM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 11, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »
My brother in law had a very nice Chris Craft Runabout for a long time . They are a lot of work to keep nice , but there's just nothing like the sound of that inboard motor . I've skied behind it for many years .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 11, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »
I'm not surprised that you guys got great taste in side chairs, bikes and boats. The nautical shapes really appeal to me, but that Vespa rig is a sweet scooter for sure.

Right now I'm refreshing my technical knowlege of hack design geometry for alignment, weight distribution and general balance and have quite a lot of material to review before starting the frame, but looking a the various shell styles is the fun part.

Thanks for input and interest. I never get tired of looking at boats and bikes.

Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 17, 2017, 05:45:43 PM »
Just a few photos of the Harley Peashooter project to date.
Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
Great looking build Rick!  Did you ever get NOLA Tire to consider building a vintage look tire?
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »
Thanks Rick I'm. Just a few minor but esential parts and a couple of days from my first ride on the Harley. The rest is just getting details to suit me. Icve had the motor running on the bench twice so Icm pretty confident[  that it will fire.

I've mentioned it several times and they seem to take note, but that may be just them being considerate to the customer...I have bought 4 sets of tires over the past 12 months and really am sold on the product: though I thought I'd never get them (2.125" x 26") mounted on the 2.35" inch double wall rims of the Harley. The sidewalls of the Vee NOLA are extremely rigid, but ride well on the Simplex and mounted easily also...narrower single wall rim (2.125) but much wider tires (2.5" and 3"). They have mentioned that the Coker Simplex tire was the inspiration for the Vee pedicab tire. I guess they save $$ on using existing tread pattern molds?  It would be great to have a more period correct pattern.
 Rick C.