Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166877 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2017, 06:50:55 AM »
We do love the lifestyle , Rick .

About the only things that might make it better would be a Prevost , instead of our Monaco , and a  weather controller . :D
Oh , and a decent shop to mess around in . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 12, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
Still headed North Pete? I'm Spring cleaning fixing and changing thing on my rides, beautiful Spring here in Indian Territory. Mostly riding my 2 cycle bicycles...light and really fun transport. I did take the Simplex out yesterday and enjoyed the ride except my backside is sore...pretty tooled saddle is really hard, so I'm going back to my Rich Phillips memory foam 'gator hide one and save pretty for the shows! Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:55 AM »
Some phone photos.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 12, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
Hi Rick ,

Yup . We're still on our meander . Currently in Corinth , Ms . Nice weather here , too . We're doing our best to avoid rain and such and so far , we've managed . We plan on reaching our Summer park on the 30th . Just in time for it's season's opening . ;)

That Indian does seem like a good pleasure cruiser . ;)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 13, 2017, 07:20:59 AM »
Pete take care on the way. What state will be honored with your Summer presence?

I do enjoy my moto bicycles, very light, fun and dependable after I rework the basic China girl engines with crank balance, high grade bearings, port and piston work, reed valve, head replacement, carb & CDI upgrades and replace every fastener with stainless steel,grade 8 Allen head (socket) bolts on all but the head bolts which are also grade 8 but employ hex head. Triples the base motor cost but well worth it. I'm looking for dependability, cool running and smooth running, not max power though power is double the base reading...about 4.5 hp now and with a 48 tooth rear sprocket they will climb any hills we have here without pedal assist. Great around town and will actually put along at 10 mph without complaint and 35 mph cruise in the country. Top speed don't know and don't care, not what I'm about now   though the Vee Nola tires could probably take it. 

Hope you get the Simplex up and running this Summer.  Rick C.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 14, 2017, 06:28:09 AM »
Rick ,

The nature park we'll be hosting is in north central Illinois . About 85 miles SW of Chicago . Farm country for miles in any direction . Currently in Southern Illinois , where we'll while away about 3 weeks before returning to park duty .

What you do to those poor Chinese motors is similar to what gets done to the Simplex motors .

As for my Simplex , I have to be getting close . I've tried pretty much every possible combination of OEM and upgrade(s) . I'll have plenty to do on the bike this summer , as our time in the salt air of Rockport  really took it's toll . Rust , every where . If there was a nick , there is rust . The aluminum looks like it's covered in salt . Depressing . :(

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 14, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
Beautiful farm land for sure and the climate is waaay less corrosive and the insects not so blood thirsty.

Yes the base China kit bike motors are not impressive coming off the boat, but make a pretty dependable foundation for upgrading as I described before or just basic bolt, bearings, balance and general cleanup coupled with the large aluminum head for cooling and some shop time. Less than $200. total for base engine and upgrade parts including a Dellorto clone carb.
My most used bike is pretty much setup like just described and I'll soon have 500 hours on the current engine or about 10,000 miles at 20 mph. One new spark plug is all I've replaced over it's service. When needed a major motor rebuild will be about $60. bucks including rings, piston, jug, bearings, spark plug and new gasket set. CDI, plug, coil set are about$15. Clutch rebuild under $10. Granted I'm easy on them and not only know the proper way to ride and service a 2 stroke, but I actual do it! I've twisted the more highly modified version to 11,00 rpm but only to see if it could...those who ride wide open throttle all the time or ignore the basics of cooling and lubrication of 2 strokes won't get much life out of these little motors, but I do. 125 to 150 mpg fuel economy and they really do pay for themselves around town and for leisurely country cruises.
Of course you're correct about the corrosive nature of salt air but man I do miss being near the water. Drive with care and enjoy.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:45 AM »
I've enjoyed riding the Simplex this Spring especially since I reinstalled the alligator saddle, it's worlds more comfortable than the highlu tooled one, pretty is as pretty does.

I'm riding a lot, splitting time between 4 bikes, all of which I'm really enjoying. I've about sorted them all out now, with the Harley Peashooter just beginning the breakin mileage. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 24, 2017, 04:40:37 AM »
I'm jealous , Rick .

I'll be waiting another week or so , until we settle into our Summer camp , before I get to ride again . Lately , rain and wind here in Southern Illinois , with a decent day or two between . Hopefully , the weather will start producing more nice days than not .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »
Pete plenty of nice days to come, drive safe and enjoy the journey. Still very nice weather here some rain but plenty of sunshine in between and mostly 60's during the heat of the day. I'm headed out for a morning ride a bit late for me but not punching a clock, so who cares? Enjoy now 'cause busy days from last of May through August.

I intended to show the Simplex and Harley at an area car show last weekend but I backed out due to high wind forecasts for the afternoon and they were... gusts to 50 mph after lunch, not uncommon here at anytime but especially during the Spring. I'll probably wait till the Fall to show the bikes, not really into showing anyway but always enjoy the guys and gals who are enthusiasts while paying a bit forward.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »
Showing ?? Ha . It seems we can't stop without someone asking about the Simplex . Even though it's turned into a pile of rust after Rockport's salt air .
It's are a great conversation starter .

Enjoy your ride , Rick .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2017, 07:45:02 AM »
I can relate PD.  Often times I will just ride my Simplex to the local  grocery store to grab something and then when I come back out, there will be a few people crowding around my bike "checking it out" and start asking me all sorts of questions.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
I like to bring my bikes to the Friday Night cruise at the Beach a few time during the season. I have never met anyone local that had ever seen a Simplex in person before laying eyes on my bikes. I do get many people telling me they saw one on American Pickers though.  I get the impression not many bikes were sold in the north east.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2017, 08:44:22 AM »
I was told there was a dealer in Minnesota at one time.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »
I don't know about the N.E. or Minnesota but they sold a butte load of of both the Simplex Servi-cycles and the Western Auto Supply Co. private label Simplex "Wizards" (not to be confused with the bicycle conversion 4 stroke "Whizzer's", in Oklahoma and the fly boys had them, Simplex's, on Air Force bases around here as well...guys that grew up in Indian Territory during the fifties and sixties, "Cushman" era, sure remember them and are eager to share their stories as well. You guys are right; the best "shows" by far consist of your daily rides & as most of you are riding restored bikes old timers should recall them from their youth if they were marketed in your areas. They identify my faux Simplex by the shape of the frame only, since every part on the bike is non Simplex (including the frame) the single exception being the head tube.

As far as showing off; people like the little fellows even if they aren't sure what they are!  Rick C.