Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166859 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #420 on: May 02, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
I'm making some progress on the design I'll be going with on the "Simplex" sidecar (which never was) to attach to my faux Simplex Copper Gator, which is but really isn't. I decided to go with a small, 6 ft. long, low and narrow body based on a Kayak shell...quite steam lined. Since the Simplex is so low I want the car and frame even lower to allow easy viewing of the bike from the car side. Most side car designs (current and classic) completely hide the bike from view; this one won't.

Quick mounting and detachment of car to bike is important to me, as I enjoy riding solo on the Gator & won't give that up.

I also will construct a leaning wheel, articulated frame which allows the rider to lean into curves and corners rather than "drive" around like an auto. I'd like to actually enjoy riding the rig. The car wheel will be equipped with a brake, I plan on using a moped hub and 14" - 16" wheel...to better match up with the low & small car body.

Articulation at the bike frame, simple hinge design, with vertical position side car lock & car brake foot pedal on the car frame. Car wheel articulation controlled by either chain & sprocket or a simple tie rod arrangement.

Broad strokes for now but it's a direction to begin with. Already getting busy with seasonal work load so probably won't get much done at a time, but no worries slow is sure and I sure am.  Rick C.   

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:51 AM »
Veterans thanks for your service!

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
I've been researching sidecar articles, posts, photos etc. in an attempt to learn all I can about these rather strange accessories and have yet to see one attached to or designed for the Simplex which I find rather curious since sidecars have been manufactured or custom built for all manner of two wheel transport including bicycles and scooters foreign and domestic. If any of you guys know of, have links to or information about a Simplex/sidecar combination; I would be grateful if you would make me aware of or link me to sources I can learn from. Thanks, Rick C. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 01, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 02, 2017, 06:01:01 AM »
Thanks Pete quite a few photos of the Simplex coupled to sidecars on that site.

Did Simplex make a sidecar rig? Did Simplex dealers ever offer after market sidecar rigs as an option?  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2017, 08:16:19 AM »
Unless someone pulls proof out of the woodwork , I'm going to say no to both of those questions , Rick .

It wouldn't be much of a surprise if Simplex at least toyed with the idea or if a dealer or two actually did offer something aftermarket . Just nothing that I recall off the top .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 27, 2017, 06:12:38 AM »
If any of you guys going to Portland spot a Simplex sidecar rig would you please take some closeup photos of the car to bike frame attachment points and bracing? I would really appreciate it. Most photos are taken from the car side which, though lovely,  blocks all the connection design details. Thanks Rick C

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #427 on: June 27, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
If any of you guys going to Portland spot a Simplex sidecar rig would you please take some closeup photos of the car to bike frame attachment points and bracing? I would really appreciate it. Most photos are taken from the car side which, though lovely,  blocks all the connection design details. Thanks Rick C

Will do!  I wouldn't hold my breath though, as I have never seen one there, that I can recall.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #428 on: June 27, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
Having made 2 different sidecars and mounts (1 small one for DT100 and a full size one for an old iron head Sportster I wish I still had pics of)  I would guess your going to need to attach to the motor mount plate being the strongest part of these bikes frame and then, probably another point to the frame (with maybe some strengthening) for extra rigidity and safety, including a way to adjust for toe-in and tracking.  Unless you plan on doing that on the cars sub-frame/suspension.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:50:33 AM by carryall »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 30, 2017, 07:40:37 AM »
Yes all the adjustment features will all be on the car frame, which I'm hoping will make re mounting the car less of a chore setup wise.

As to the attachment points I agree about the motor mount being the strongest point both on the stock frame and my "fake" Simplex frame. If you recall I replaced 90% of the tubing with heavy wall DOM steel & 3/16"  thick steel plate for mounting the pedal bracket and engine & the all steel fuel tank is welded into the upper tubes as well...the unitized engine also acts as a frame stress member, tying the frame tubes together at 5 points. Balance points are actually my real concern at the moment, along with kick start lever utilization.

Also of concern is the piano hinge connection between bike and car frames and any tendency towards sagging at this hinged connection during operation. Locating the tie rod connection from the leaning wheel to the bike frame has to be right.  Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #430 on: June 30, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
You'll need to set these adjustments with a load of the approx. weight in the sidecar.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 01, 2017, 07:34:14 AM »
Thanks for that input and as I get closer to the point of having a good estimate of weight I'll get back to you with questions about settings etc. How does one calculate the added weight of an adult passenger and that of a empty rig? Handling has to be quite different. How does one set up for the huge day to day variance between loaded and empty?

I'm studying and thinking, but input from those who have experienced day to day life riding a sidecar rig is very welcome.   Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2017, 05:16:52 AM »
Since I'm still stalled on the sidecar project I've been building another motor bicycle based on a Schwinn style straight bar frame used over the years on many models, but this one is to be badged as an "Excelsior X Autolite", Schwinn. Just something to fiddle with.  Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »
I've seen these 20"  fat tire bikes with the little Grubee clone engines.  I've even torn up a few of those engines in the past.  They sound like gas engine blenders. LOL

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
The fat bikes are really popular at this time. I built one with 3" x 24" tires a few years back and very much enjoyed it with the little 2 stroke motor, but I eventually went back to 2.195" x 26" tires that are easier to pedal without the help of the motor. 3" tires barely qualify anymore as "fat" most are 4" & up now.

The little inexpensive Chinese kit motors are fun and small at 50 cc or 66 cc putting out 2 hp or so...just about commercial weed eater size and power. Many manufacturers build & market these & quality varies...so some have had bad experiences others good. Also many people have zero knowledge about the care and operation of small, air cooled 2 strokes leading to much unhappiness.

I spend quite a bit of my money and time to modify my engines to both enhance performance and extend motor life; as a result I have great fun and few problems riding them...the Schwinn is my third China girl I've built in the last three years, one of which has over 500 hours of ridng time on the original plug and no engine problems. My only motorcycle to have a better service record in the first 500 hours is a Honda Gullwing. I plan to pull the head and de carbonize the 500 hour motor this Summer, but don't expect to find much buildup as it runs great. 45 mph speed is available with this modified engine on the flats, though 20 mph is more the norm. I keep a good muffler on all my 2 cycle weed wacker/model airplane motored bicycles so I don't have to hear the little ring dings & laugh all the way to the bank with 125 mpg fuel mileage in town and thumbs up by all I meet! Rick C.