Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

December 14, 2017, 12:05:48 PM

News:

HAVING A PROBLEM GETTING REGISTERED?   READ THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE REGISTRATION AGREEMENT!!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36]
Print
Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 81439 times)
pd

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: September 16, 2017, 05:21:47 AM »

Pete SOCAL Motor Bicycle Racing is the group I 'kinda follow, nice tracks, good participation and organized structured events and classes. Many of the bikes are pretty awesome with qualified riders some pretty fast racing in the top classes. You might want to give them a look see. I just like racing but don't intend to actually get out there and mix it up. I'd probably be the beaver on the track & get out in the middle of the course and dam things up! Rick C.

Hmm , I wrote a reply a couple days ago , but it isn't here anymore . Maybe yesterday's server problem had something to do with that .

Anyway , I couldn't find a specific site for SoCal MBR , other than Facebook . Still , looks like some pretty serious work being done . Interesting .
And , I don't intend 'mixing it up' anymore either . Been there and done that . My reaction time isn't exactly what it was when I was invincible . Wink

Pete . Smiley

Goes around , Comes around . Smiley
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 17, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »

Facebook is also what I have on them Pete.
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 21, 2017, 06:13:49 AM »

I turned the V-twin predator over to my Harley guy to build out. He's good so that means he's always covered up in work. How long? It's a start. I'll be very satisfied with 30 dependable hp. & a valve train that will hold up once the rev limiter is removed.

I'm making a template of the engine and battery box profile to size the frame with. I'm guessing 63" but want to be certain. I'll be going with a double tube frame design and low profile. I'll use 17" - 36 spoke wheels both stainless and DOT rated, discs front, rear and on the sidecar. S rated (110 mph) tires 3" wide rear and 2.25" front & side car. The overall tire height inflated is right at 25" for the rear & 24" on the front. I plan on having 3.5" ground clearance on both bike and sidecar. Target weight of the bike 220 lbs. with sidecar at 75 lbs.

As I posted earlier I won't mimic the Simplex frame lines though I'd like to. It's just a size & space thing. To house the V-twin and keep proportions correct the bike would be not only extremely long but tall as well. Space requirements for the V dictate top tubes and bottom tubes be parallel to each other as well as the ground.

Swing axle may be used in a covert fashion.  Rick C.

pd

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 21, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »

Sounds interesting , Rick .

Please , keep us posted . Wink

Pete . Smiley

Goes around , Comes around . Smiley
Reggie LeGros

View Profile Email
« Reply #529 on: October 21, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »

Your bike looks great.  You are a very talented dude

Hello everyone,
Glad to see someone start a new Simplex site.  The old Simplex Collectors site just quit.
I own 3 Simplex Motorcycles:1948 I just completed restoration, 1953 basket case,1956 Restored currently in a museum. I also restored a James ML and a 1954 Triumph Terrier.
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 23, 2017, 04:32:14 AM »

Thanks Reggie. Your list of restores is quite impressive as well. A quality build "to factory" spec, in my experience, is more time consuming and expensive than are my current and past flights of fantasies. I of course am interested not only in all things Simplex but also the James bikes as well. Though I'm certainly not an authority concerning either. Updated photos of past builds and of course your current Simplex conversion would be a treat for us all.  Rick C.
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:48 AM »

Putting parts together for the V-twin build & riding some everyday the Simplex Cooper Gator is proving very reliable transport, but the fun factor is off the charts. Photos as I get around to sizeing.
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 15, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »

Update on the V-twin soft tail build. Swing arm frame & components are placed & sized. Shock will be 10.5" spring over air (not pictured) bicycle bottom bracket components are used for swing arm pivot. Forks shown will be widened 1.5" to clear 160 mm disc rotor. Wheels are DOT compliant 17" & tires speed & load rated. 12 mm & 14 mm titanium axle bolts will be used. Custom hub adapter & rotor adapter secure & locate the 160 mm rear rotor. Next step will be to add gussets & lengthen the horizontal drops to the swing arm assembly. Then it's on to the motor & sidecar mount assembly.

Still think about 60" or so wheelbase to house either of my V twin engines. Rick C.   
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36]
Print
Jump to: