Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

February 21, 2018, 04:30:41 AM

News:

HAVING A PROBLEM GETTING REGISTERED?   READ THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE REGISTRATION AGREEMENT!!

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38]
Print
Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 89643 times)
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 08, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »

Lovely weather there, but zero wind chills in the early mornings here warming by late afternoon into the upper thirties, so I'm still riding a little each day.

I've been getting a small amount of fabrication completed on the "torpedo tube" style fuel tank for the V-twin. It's 1/8" steel tube and 6" in diameter...2 gallon capacity & now baffled. I'll cap it with round dome caps on both ends. It's got to be study as it comprises the complete upper frame and supports both the steering head & is the upper connection for the dual down tubes and the rear saddle tube. I plan on using dual fuel bungs located side by side.

I' don't get much done but I'll keep pecking away at it.  Rick C.

pd

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:49 AM »

Any progress is progress .

Just keep doing , it'll get done . One step at a time . Wink

Pete . Smiley

Goes around , Comes around . Smiley
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 09, 2018, 06:30:22 AM »

Pete it's good to hear that you will be staying out there awhile longer. It's nice not having much weather to deal with. As for Indian Territory I shouldn't whine it's not been protracted cold here just bad spots. Yesterday and today very mild low 60's....followed by a couple of cold days etc. been that way most of the Winter. I actually put in about 4 hrs. on bikes yesterday after lunch & made some progress & plan on more today. All of it just detail & upkeep yet necessary.

I lost my main fabrication buddy, a great guy, yesterday after a brief but painful illness & I felt it best to stay busy. We built some cool vehicles together & most were drivers/riders that still won trophies when shown. He will be missed by many & all have their own good memories of a good man. 

Rick C.   
pd

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 09, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »

Sorry for your loss , Rick .

Agreed , keeping busy seems to help .

Pete . Smiley

ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 15, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »

Thanks Pete.

Forecast for 85 degrees her today in Indian Territory...12 degrees three days ago. So I'm going to ride a little and continue on bike upgrades & service....clutch hincky on one moto bicycle and headset bearing replacement required on another. I'm hoping to get started on the Simplex Copper Gator as well. I've determined to convert the foot operated shift to a hand shift lever; as I like the look and feel of the hand shift on the Harley Peashooter, but will convert both bikes to a right hand lever & left hand clutch. If you recall I went to a left hand throttle and brake on the Harley & left hand shift lever/right hand clutch. While it feels strange, it works well. I don't really like operating the controls on it & seldom ride the Harley because of it, so I'm changing things around.

Also both these two bikes have operable bicycle pedals as did all early day moto cycles. These also operate the rear coaster brakes (as did the early day bikes) but the right side pedal has to be in a perfect position to use the kick start lever. Poor design on my part, but a folding pedal will solve the problem & allow starting from the straddle position as I now have to place the bike on stand before starting from the standing position next to the bike. Try that  after a stall at a busy intersection, not recommended. Living in a small town it hasn't been a problem, but it's not right & I've known it from the jump so I'm making it right.

Both the Simplex & Harley bikes run and ride great, but little things make the difference. I want the look & feel of classic early 20th. century bikes while having the dependability of a more modern power & drive train. At least that's my motivation.

Though I've a load of work to do on my V-twin, side car etc. I need these things sorted first on the ones I put on the road.   Rick C. 
pd

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:19 AM »

Ha . Sounds like me .

Things that need done on each machine . Life ... always something with these kids . LOL

Pete . Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38]
Print
Jump to: