Author Topic: Hi - New member from Michigan. I have a 63 Simplex Sportsman Senior & Compact  (Read 5113 times)

dw1973

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello,

Dave here from Michigan.   I hope it is o.k. to post about the other Simplex bikes from the early 60's.  I recently acquired a 63 Simplex Sportsman Senior and Compact.   My plan is to restore them to original condition.   Would like to hear from other owners of these models and members who have parts for them.   I would like to own a Servi-Cycle model in the future.  The Senior model has a 2 speed jackshaft that I have not seen on other Seniors in person and online.   It looks professionally done. 

Dave

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
Wow! Thats a new one to me. Looks neat. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Welcome to the group.  What part of Michigan are you in? 

These bikes are mentioned (and includes a photo) on page 433 of the "Standard Catalog of American Motorcycles" book.  Do you know if yours had a Clinton engine or the the Villars?
Mike Sal

dw1973

• View Profile
    • Email
Welcome to the group.  What part of Michigan are you in? 

These bikes are mentioned (and includes a photo) on page 433 of the "Standard Catalog of American Motorcycles" book.  Do you know if yours had a Clinton engine or the the Villars?
Mike Sal

Hi Mike,

I am from Adrian, MI.   Both bikes originally had a Continental engine.   The Compact had a 4.9hp Continental AU85 and the Senior had a 7hp Continental 1150.  I found the 4.9hp engine and am still looking for the 7hp engine.

Dave

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Dave,
I'm from Michigan also. I live in Midland and ride a model 48 Simplex. Love your bikes!

bill marcum

• View Profile
Hi Dave ,
I am Bill From Romulus, Michigan. Glad to see some Michiganders on the web . Looks like you got a couple of nice project scooters. Like to see them some time. I have a 1956 Simplex Project that I am working on. Bill Marcum 8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dave, I wonder if that Senior could be one of the many prototypes that J Paul worked on.  The wollard book says he was constantly tinkering with prototypes, which the company routinely sold after they were done with them.  In today's world you could never get away with that, with all the liability laws.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey Dave, get any work done on these?  If so, post some updates!

Rick
Rick