Author Topic: Military simplex find  (Read 12415 times)

68bird

• View Profile
    • Email
Military simplex find
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »
Hi I'm new here I hope you can help me with information. I'm going to bring this back to its original form. I purchased this at a local swap meet. The gent I purchased it from said it was a military issue bike. He showed the engine tag and almost all parts for it.  I'm looking for year color and anything else that could help in my resto. There is what I think is orig green and  black paint on it. Some kind of ring on the side of it. No kick start I don't know why. Could it have broken off?

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Military simplex find
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
Single gas cap and goose neck handle bars I would hazard a guess of early 40s but i am no expert on these matters . The blue color would lead me to NAVY issue  .

Look at the first thread in this catergory. I believe there is much of the info to help you .

68bird

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:40:07 PM »
Thank you I'm puzzled by it at the same time hooked on it. Interesting history on the bike I enjoy that the most. Any other inputs are greatly apreaciated.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
If there is no kick start I would say it might of been a push to start. Do you have the complete engine? That is a bit of cool info with the info plate.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 11:02:39 AM »
With a closer look I see two cables coming out of the handlebars one throttle one compression relief.

Carl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Interesting bike. Frame, tank, transmission and clutch petal all seem older than an engine with a date of 1-53 as on the engine plate.
   In May of 2014, RandyS posted pics of his bike which has the same contract number as your bike and a 53 plate date as well. His frame, tank, transmission, and clutch are different from yours but he has stem mount handlebars like yours.
   My 53 bike, which I was told by the previous owner was a USAF bike, is only a few frame and engine numbers from Randys. It is identical to RandyS' s except for the tail light.
   I wonder if you have a newer mil contract engine with a older frame.
   It would be nice if there was a list somewhere of all the different military contracts, dates, and numbers for Simplex.
Carl
Saint Simons Island, GA.
Carl,
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
USA

68bird

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
Yes I do have all the parts to the bike except the kick start. Amazing that the parts were still there.  I thought the kick start might have broken off. Don't know can't find any breaks. My friend has a older engine from the 40's it won't fit he holes in the frame. I was told by the original owner that it was a push start but I thought he's filling me with bs he also Said it was used for military use as to dropped out of a plane.  I also thought he's filling me. I don't know. I can't find a serial number on the frame. the bike is green with all parts painted and rim is  black as some of the paint on the spokes that is left is black. The original carb has the parts used with the cables on the bars. If anything the bike is light weight. Will post pics of the engine. I disassembled it to inspect it and found it to be in nice condition. Very Interesting I found the insignia to be army air force. I'm wonder if was re commissioned into service? Thank you for your input.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:05:56 PM by 68bird »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
Can you post pics of the flywheel and what holds it in place ? Is there a pinion gear ?

If there is a # on the frame , it would be under the steering neck 'box' . But , if it's an early model , there isn't a frame # , unless one was put there by the military . I'm pretty sure that won't be the case .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
Your bike looks like about a 1945 with a later engine. Review the 1945 Model H manual I posted in the manual section.  Looks like the correct carb and air filter bracket.  Shouldn't be a frame number if all of this is true.  Take a look at some of the other literature here and maybe you can nail down a more precise year/model.

68bird

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:37:27 AM »
I just looked at steering area no numbers anywhere.  Her is a pic of the flywheel as I got it.  I got another block with the bike as parts but it won't fit the frame the bolt pattern is smaller on the boss. Here is a picture of them. the one on the right is military and left block has no numbers and is a larger bolt pattern.  I added the seat strap pic . Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:01:18 AM by 68bird »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
Mark ,

Maybe you've already seen this : http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=970.0 Note the PDF download .

And , http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=293.0

Maybe that larger bolt pattern base is a later factory replacement .
From what I understand , the factory stamped rebuilds with special #s . I don't think bases that were ordered separately rec'd an ID # , but ???

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

68bird

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »
Thanks I did look at the seat spring configuration. To me it looks similar to the 48 design  That's interesting possibly it was brought back into service and a engine rebuild was in order. I'm still lost but the clues you guys are giving me is very interesting. I'm gathering 45 to 47-8 date. No kick start. Possibly rebuilt motor.  The thing is defiantly military green on every part other than wheel and clutch which is black. Appreciate the help.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
Those years had bolt on kick start shafts.  I tend to agree with the years you are coming up with. Last year while at Portland I was told the '48 came with wide vertical frame supports. Take a look at pics of my black bike but these are obvious and are about 1 1/4" or more.

68bird

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »
That's good to know on the kick start. I'll look for it.  Here is a pic in better light