Author Topic: Wat Old Dave said!  (Read 713 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wat Old Dave said!
« on: April 27, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
Being interested in Simplexes and noticing Old Dave lives in New Orleans I couldn't help but IM him to ask if he ever drives by the old Simplex plant.  Below is his reply.

Yes, I have been buy the old factory which has a store front on it now but the back half still looks original.  I have not driven the block around it but only from the front and side on North Carolton Ave.  Its about 15 minutes drive so I can swing by for pictures some time.  I did find out that one of my old car friends locally used to work in the factory back after WWII and up to about 1953.  He also got AC training so he used to keep the AC units running and even after he left employment would repair them as needed for a number of years.  Said he loved working there and he did everything from putting spokes in the rims as well learned all the other assembly stations.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wat Old Dave said!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
That's pretty cool!  I spoke to an old guy at the Oley meet who was from New Orleans and he told me he goes by the old Carolton building all the time, and he remembered that there was another location before that, but it is now a shopping center.
Rick