Author Topic: Simplex 3 wheel Truck Tribute  (Read 34855 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Simplex 3 wheel Truck Tribute
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
Has anyone ever rode a Servi-cycle 3 wheeler?  If so, how stable was it?  Do you think one could be ridden safely at around 40 MPH?  I'm really thinking of doing a 3 wheeler tribute, but with a briggs or such 4 stroke motor. I envision something I could ride down to the store, throw a couple of things in the box, and make it home without any theatrics.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:08:40 AM by RickS »
Rick

servicycle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 3 wheeler
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:59:42 AM »
I have two three-wheelers (or trucks as they are referred to).  The later models are easier to drive than the early models.  The early model I have doesn't have a split shaft for the final drive which means both wheels turn at the same rate.  When going around a corner it drives a bit like a tank.  The later models don't experience that as both wheels are able to rotate at different speeds.  Top speeds on the trucks are about 35 m.p.h. or so and it feels stable at that speed.  I am sure with a different engine it would still feel safe up to 45 m.p.h. or so.

Bill
www.servicycle.com

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
Bill, could you post a picture of the differential?  Do you happen to know who the maker of the  diff was or did simplex build their own?  I know that some of the early trucks used a salsbury torque converter, maybe they also built the diff? Thanks,  Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:09:29 AM »
Well, I've started on it.  Here is the bike as I bought it, not including the engine, as it was already sold.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
I have sandblasted the chassis and am getting ready to cut for the rear box section.  I don't have any exact specs to work from, just pictures.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »
This is how I intend to notch the tubes.  I've never used my notcher freehand , always in a drill press, but it looks like it should work just fine.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
Rick, That is looking really good. I like the way you have everything balanced and leveled. Have you been able to get any hard measurements yet or are you going to wing it? What have you decided to do about a differential? Are you going to use belts throuout or any chains? If you don't have any measurements perhaps Bill might give you the rough dimensions or Wayne. I really want to see your progress on the bike.

My bike is still sitting in the kitchen :-[ Hopefully I will be able to get it in the shop over the weekend.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
Rick, That is looking really good. I like the way you have everything balanced and leveled. Have you been able to get any hard measurements yet or are you going to wing it? What have you decided to do about a differential? Are you going to use belts throuout or any chains? If you don't have any measurements perhaps Bill might give you the rough dimensions or Wayne. I really want to see your progress on the bike.

My bike is still sitting in the kitchen :-[ Hopefully I will be able to get it in the shop over the weekend.

I PMed Bill, I asked him if he could get some measurements and post them here so everyone can see.  I do know the dimensions of the box, so the rest I estimated.  I would like to see how close I am.
I have not decide on a differential yet.  I can get a kart chain drive diff, but I can't find one that works with a belt drive.  If I decide to go without a diff and just use a jackshaft like the early models, then I will go all belts.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:23:49 AM by RickS »
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:16 AM »
My friend Augie and I bent some tube yesterday, and this morning I mocked up the lower hoop and tacked it in.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »
Rick, what size pipe are you using and what is your source of supply?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 04:30:18 AM »
Bob, I used 1" x .083" DOM that I got from Fleischer Tube, a local company.  The place isn't cheap, but I wanted to get a 16' section so I could bend the bottom rectangle from 1 piece. 

Simplex used 1" x .065" ESW, but I wanted a little more strength, and I wasn't much concerned about the extra weight.

If you need tube in 8' sections, you can mail order it much cheaper, and it ships UPS.  If over 8', it is freight shipped.  I called a couple of places and to have 48' of tube shipped in 8' sections was around $30, but in 16' sections around $275!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »
Did some more work.  I have the rear section tacked in now. Next up will be fabricating the pieces to hold the inside of the axles.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:14:06 PM by RickS »
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
Some more work done this morning.

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
I now have the frame all tacked together and have the wheel mounts in. If anyone has a rear wheel assembly they would like to part with, give me a shout as I only have one rear wheel at the moment.

Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
Rick, That is definately 1st class all the way. I'm really looking forward to seeing this build to the end. No rear wheel assy here. Sounds like you may be talking to Wayne again :)