Author Topic: Flywheel and coil repair  (Read 2297 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Flywheel and coil repair
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:06:32 AM »
I met this guy at the plain City meet.  Offers an array of old style wire, clips, etc. but most importantly can rewind coils and recharge flywheels.  The guys there said he's good.

pd

• View Profile
Re: Flywheel and coil repair
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:55:08 PM »
Good to know , Tom .

I thought that the magnets in our Phelon flywheels could not be 'recharged' .

Hi there ,,, I have been laid up for a while but I built and almost completed a magnet charger   magnets in the wico magneto can be charged  ,  reverse charged , and reversed again , as many times as you want ,  but require special  " adapters to insure the integrety of the field strength ,   .   I wound about twenty pounds of  number 18 magnet wire around a couple of soft iron cores that I turned out on a lathe ,,   when hooked up to a fourty eight volt golf cart,  the tools and metal stuff from about three feet away all jumped to a nice piece of artwork on the bench . ( never been so scared in all my life !!) Phelon magnetos have alnico magnets  ( aluminum , nickle , cobalt )magnets that are supposed to be charged while they are being cast hot , ( don't know why ) and I am still trying to figure out how to charge them,   They do not like heat and silver brazing them back on after they fall off will certainley weaken them ,, reverse charging won't hurt , as the magneto is essentially an A.C. item also the lioghts  , Like pulling a non-polorized plug out of the socket and turning it upside down .    All the best , Larry Brown.

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)