Author Topic: new guy  (Read 5491 times)

60Ramblers

• View Profile
    • Email
new guy
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »
Boy am I glad I found you guys!!  Ive looked all over for any info on the Servi Cycle my Dad bought and dropped off at my house to "get running"!  I did get it running but the drive and controls are a little different then im use to.  Its  H model, guessing from the mid 40s to early 50s..Ill dig thru the archives before I ask a million questions!   Thanks Again!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new guy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
Welcome!  Looking like a good start. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, sometimes it is quicker than searching, sometimes not.

What part of the country do you hail from?
Rick

60Ramblers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:14:29 AM »
I live just north of Madison in Wisconsin.  I guess my first question is, what size belt do I need to drive the rear wheel?  the one that is on there gets pretty tight when the rocker petal is pushed forward and there is no more adjustment in the rear wheel slots.
  And is there supposed to be only 2 pulleys on bracket under the seat?  Ive seen a few pics of bikes with 3.  The 3rd one being spring loaded on the rear wheel belt

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
Welcome ... I'm new also
Great bunch of guys ... lots of help/info here.

Gary S
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:30:40 AM »
Hello and Welcome to the Simplex family . Great group of folks here .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 04:56:44 AM »
I live just north of Madison in Wisconsin.  I guess my first question is, what size belt do I need to drive the rear wheel?  the one that is on there gets pretty tight when the rocker petal is pushed forward and there is no more adjustment in the rear wheel slots.
  And is there supposed to be only 2 pulleys on bracket under the seat?  Ive seen a few pics of bikes with 3.  The 3rd one being spring loaded on the rear wheel belt

Come on down to Portland, Indiana in July for the VMBC meet!

Your bike should only have 2 pulleys.  The third pulley is only on the automatics, and is what tensions the rear drive belt.  Sorry I don't know the belt size; I only have automatics.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
Welcome 60Ramblers .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

60Ramblers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
Thanks Rick!  I wasnt too sure.  I took some pictures of one I saw down at the Davenport vintage show and races. Looked similar but not the same.  I think I have the dive pullys figured out, just need a longer final drive belt....And a compression release lever that bolts to the head...i think!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »
Go to Engines and trans section   third page   Open up BELTS thread started by Mywaymf.   I ran a gates #344 green stripe for awhile before putting the original back on.  (1948 rocker)

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »
Go to Engines and trans section   third page   Open up BELTS thread started by Mywaymf.   I ran a gates #344 green stripe for awhile before putting the original back on.  (1948 rocker)

did you look on the frame under the front fork for any numbers?
my bike has a #H engine also but I found some frame numbers there.
Does your frame color look original or is it a re-paint?... it looks like old military paint to me. Maybe a "G" model with an engine swap?
The military was known to stamp their own numbers on these bikes if I'm not mistaken... I'm an old retired U.S.M.C. MOTOR "T" myself.

GaryS
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:28:55 PM by Gary S »
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
Welcome I look forward to following your progress. Guys are great here & very knowegeable... they even put up with me so their pretty patient as well. Look at the awesome restorations they've completed & you know they are for real & dedicated to the Simplex marque!   Rick C.!

60Ramblers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Thanks guys!!  I think the paint looks like a OSHA saftey green...or maybe I just spend too mush time at work!  I will look for some stamps...

60Ramblers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 07:14:45 AM »
I didnt find any stamping on the bottom of the neck.  I did find some pretty bad welding on the crash bar mount!