Author Topic: Headlight Bulb  (Read 18253 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Headlight Bulb
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
Don't know yet I will explore this in the morning.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »
See ya then .

Sweet dreams .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »
Ok I can not wait till dark I want a night ride! Ok the unit will fit into a empty bucket but you run into trouble when adding things. Kinda like if you wanted to run your switch in there or have the insulated post there. Maybe somebody could figure out how to trim it up to fit well. I do see the it has a pattern that the camera will pick up but you can't see it as it happens. It's just bright. 8)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »
Reese ,

Try one off a Simplex motor , while you're waiting for nightfall . ;)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »
Well I did not get the engine to start up but the light does light up as I kick it. I even too a 9volt battery and it will power th u s light. Does anybody have any thoughts? ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »
Thoughts ... Hmm > I like the idea of a good headlight .

I guess I'll have to order one of what you have and see how I can incorporate it into the Simplex set up .
I'd think that the power supply could be hidden in the steering neck support , but that would require lengthening the wires . But , I suppose that might have to be done anyway .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
Well it does not brighten or dim as you ride. It comes on bright and stays that way. Now if I can get it tighten up So it stays up. You know when your old it has a hard time staying up.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »
 Reese ,

Sounds like you just have to tighten the nut up a bit . :o

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »
I thought they were tight enough but now it is. Let me tell you it's nice riding at night and being able to see. I now need to put the front fender on to keep stuff from flying up into my face. I think I need to pull the rear tire and check the bearings because there is something rubbing somewhere.   ;D

Scooter4

• View Profile
Re: 2221 Headlight Bulb
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2023, 05:35:43 PM »
Good evening,
I know this topic is old, but I am wondering if anyone got the 2221 bulb to light with the Phelon magneto?  I bought two new Mazda 2221 to use on my bikes and thought I would see if it will light before I rotate the flange on the bulb.
My mag will not light the bulb but the mag shows about 8 volts charging. The resistance measurements are similar to ones Paul posted in a different thread.  I tested the bulb connected directly to the wire out of the mag and grounded to the cylinder not even a little glow.  It does spark a little when connecting.  I check tail light coils also.

All three coils will light up the low side of a Sylvania 1154 just fine, but not the high side.

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2023, 06:02:29 AM »
Good evening,
I know this topic is old, but I am wondering if anyone got the 2221 bulb to light with the Phelon magneto?  I bought two new Mazda 2221 to use on my bikes and thought I would see if it will light before I rotate the flange on the bulb.
My mag will not light the bulb but the mag shows about 8 volts charging. The resistance measurements are similar to ones Paul posted in a different thread.  I tested the bulb connected directly to the wire out of the mag and grounded to the cylinder not even a little glow.  It does spark a little when connecting.  I check tail light coils also.

All three coils will light up the low side of a Sylvania 1154 just fine, but not the high side.

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

Maybe your mag isn't putting out enough amperage .
You can check :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2scIheTlvQ

Take that amount and multiply it times the voltage to see how many watts you have to work with .

My '57 has a Phelon mag . I had no juice to the headlight . I rewound the HL coil and now have a decent amount of light .

« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 06:16:45 AM by pd »

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2023, 01:43:19 PM »
Good afternoon Pete.
I am sorry, but I put your name a Paul (regarding resistance measurements) when I first started this post.

I pulled the flywheel and cleaned all grounds and wire end.  I checked the resistance of the coils while they were disconnected and got: 2.0 ohm for the headlight coil.  1.1 ohm for each tail light coil.
I ran it and get 18v AC on the headlight coil and 8v AC on the tail light coils.  The coils do not look damaged or over heated.
18v AC seams rather high for that coil.
At this time, I do not have a way to measure current of the coils because my analog meters will not do AC current and my digital one that will do AC current goes bonkers when connected to an alternator.

I am also wondering if the brake coil should be able to light the high side of the Sylvania 1154.  That is 16 watt on the package.

Any ideas?  May have to rewind the headlight coil.
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2023, 06:47:48 AM »
Your readings seem high to me , but , I only have what my system produced to compare . And , that is likely not optimum .
If your readings are correct  , the headlight coil is producing about 162 watts and about 58 watts to the tail .

That should be way more than you need . Maybe enough to burn 6 volt bulbs .

I wish I could be more help . My bike is currently waiting to have the motor bearings replaced . I hear a whir on deceleration . I think it's either the crank bearing or the big end rod bearing .
Anyway , I won't be running it for a while , so I can't provide present day output readings .

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2023, 11:22:00 AM »
Good afternoon,
Attached is an image of my coils.  Do you happen to know if those look original?  Maybe my coil is homemade and why it reads 18 volts AC.
I have ordered a clampmeter to try checking the coil.   Based on bulb manufacturer information I could find, the 21cp bulb should require about 2.69 amps for the 6 volt systems.

Please have a look at the picture and let me know what you think.
Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2023, 11:41:14 AM »
Looks factory to me.  Are your grounds good?  I powder coat my frames, and they do not conduct a ground.
Rick