Author Topic: Dad's Servi-Late '41, early '42?  (Read 5218 times)

rrissler

• View Profile
    • Email
Dad's Servi-Late '41, early '42?
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »
Hi, folks - Finally got enough gunk off the engine to get the serial # - G4611, which looks to the cognoscenti to be late 1941, early '42. Does anyone have a manual or any documentation or any idea where one would GET documentation on this baby?

I will happily scan and archive as a pdf for the group. I've looked in the manual section, but didn't see anything.

Next, anyone know anything about THIS? I understand that it was on the bike somewhere.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dad's Servi-Late '41, early '42?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:41 PM »
I don't recognize that part.  Is it metal or rubber?  Possibly the pad from the brake pedal?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:07:58 PM »
Hmm , that might make a good waffle pattern . ;)

But , I don't recognize that , either .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
This may help. 1946 cushman clutch pedal.
Dwayne

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
Nice Dwayne!  Did you get to Portland this year?  Not many people attended, due to the weather.

Is that cushman on the list for a restoration?
Rick

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
No Rick, I didn't make it this year. I hope to be there next year. Our meet in Hartville is Sept. 10,11,12. We have about 30-50 bikes. A little bit of everything.

I bought the cushman last year. I was going to restore it but a friend talked me into making a rat bike. I rebuilt the motor and gear box. new tires, rewired, and

a little welding. I hope it doesn't fall apart at 40mph!

Dwayne

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »
Believe Me there fun when parts start to fall off while your riding. I almost lost my muffler while riding up at Portland but she's feeling better now. 8)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
As long as the motor stays together and the wheels don't fall off , you should be OK . :D

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
That reminds me of the time when I was a kid and I built my first motorbike.  It was probably the late 1960s.  Some of the local guys used to take a 20 inch bicycle frame and mount a motor between their legs and run a Maytag dryer pulley around the back rear rim. The only clutch was an idler pulley with a spring.  Even though I was young, I thought I could make one of my own.  The problem began when I put a banana seat on it and the back mounts on the seat ran down to the rear axle and were held on by a nut.  For some odd reason, one or the nuts on my seat never got tightened.  I had a friend pull the bike with my moped to get it started.  I didn't have any throttle cable run yet, so I had to run the throttle with my hand on the carburetor.  I finally got it running with one hand on the engine and one hand on the handle bar.  I threw the rope off and I was on my own for about 200 yards.  That's when the nut that was holding the seat on vibrated off the axle.  The back support of the seat came off and jammed through the spokes of the rear tire causing an immediate malfunction - haha.  The bike laid down on the road and I slid with it for a little ways.  I picked it up and as I was pushing it home, the back tire blew out.  I guess it was because of the sliding on the road.  That was the first and the last time I ever rode that bike.  But it was all worth it because for 200 yards I felt like a million bucks!
-Dwayne

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Good story Dwayne .

Thanks . ;)