Author Topic: Simplex Stretch  (Read 57061 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex Stretch
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2016, 12:25:38 PM »
Some nice work Rick. Air cleaner, kick start & now the pinion cover on the engine housing all look great. Your stretch is going to be sweet. Rick C. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2016, 03:18:11 AM »
Aren't those pinion covers nice?  Love the air intake set-up.  It's gonna be a head turner!

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »
I read through the complete thread as I am going to use a GC 160. Nice work. I guess I missed where you said what the flywheel cover is made of. Did Wayne supply it? Aluminum pot? Ever what it is, it looks great. I'm a welder by trade and I am admiring your work. Good job. Did you happen to make a template of the motor plate? I read where Wayne was going to build a motor plate for the GC motors. I talked to him Friday and he has not. Wondering why if I'm a welder I was asking for template? Work out of town 6 and 7 days a week and it would certainly be a time saver. I am going to mirror your setup on my build. Copying someone's work is a compliment in my way of thinking. Good job Carryall. If ok I would like to pm you and ask some more questions. Thanks.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
The cover is an aluminum baking pan.  I removed the rolled edge on my disc sander.  

I am hoping to have the bike running soon. I am waiting on a set of tires, and I will assemble it and start it up.

Glad you like it!

Rick
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:59:05 AM by RickS »
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
Built some front fender braces.  Since I like the curve of the late model style, I decided to see if I could bend the 3/4" x 1/8" flat bar like they did at the factory.

Well, what do you think? 

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2016, 11:02:57 AM »
Aren't those pinion covers nice?  Love the air intake set-up.  It's gonna be a head turner!

Sorry I missed this Tom.  Wayne's pinion cover is very nice!  Thanks for letting me know he had them available.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
"Built some front fender braces.  Since I like the curve of the late model style, I decided to see if I could bend the 3/4" x 1/8" flat bar like they did at the factory.

Well, what do you think?"

If ya hadn't said anything , I'da thought they were OEM .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:47 AM »
Got my tires yesterday and got them mounted this morning.  Here is the bike on the ground.  It definitely feels larger.  I hope to get it up out of the basement and assembled for a test run some time next week.

Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
Lookin' good , Rick .

But for the seat ... It seems , from these pics , that the seat is too far forward .
And , the crash bar ground clearance seems a bit low , too .
Maybe it's just me ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:19 AM »
Lookin' good , Rick .

But for the seat ... It seems , from these pics , that the seat is too far forward .
And , the crash bar ground clearance seems a bit low , too .
Maybe it's just me ?

It's just you!  Lol

The seat is in the stock position relative to the handlebars, but is forward a little in relation to the footpads.  This is caused by the neck stretch.  I may try moving the seat back an inch or two after I get to ride it.

The crash bars are actually 1/2" higher than my other 2 bikes.  I think what is throwing the perspective off a little is the lack of a rear fender.  I have not had time to make a better one yet, so I may bolt on the one I did make last winter and run with that this summer.  I also am planning on a longer rear rack to take up some of the empty space.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »
Ha . I had to look twice at the first pic , almost thought it was a La Ray .

And , the longer rack is a good idea .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2016, 08:13:35 AM »
OK Pete, I fitted up a fender.  It is just mocked in place for now, as I have to build a front mount.  I think this ties it together better.  I also laid the engine in there to fill out the look.

Seat height wound up being 34", about 4" higher than stock.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:21:58 AM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »
AH , yes ... Much better definition .

And , maybe with the longer rack , you might leave the seat alone and have it look pretty good .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »
Looking good  8)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2016, 07:31:07 AM »
Rick your definitely going to like riding your stretch & it's already looking good. The added length in wheelbase should make a dramatic improvement in ride & higher speed stability, important 'cause mid 50's to low 60's should be no problem with the power upgrade. I'm excited for you!

I sat looking at the photos this a.m. & the fenders make a huge improvement as will the addition of a rear rack (no pun intended) the higher seat position also allows enough room for a nice leather tool bag should one be so inclined to do so.

Ride & controls positioning is so personal that you would be wise to ride & adjust as you see fit...it's going to be a beauty when you lay on some color and polish. We all know your skill in making your Simplex builds stand out.

Rick C.