Author Topic: Simplex Stretch  (Read 57051 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex Stretch
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »
As I was assembling the bike, I didn't like the look of the late model steering plate.  The square sides of the plate look out of sync with the rest of the bike.  I made a template from one of my earlier bikes and cut the curves into them. I think it looks much better this way.  I forgot to take a before picture, so I just used magnets to hold the cut off pieces in place for a before and after look.

What say you gents?
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2016, 09:09:46 AM »
I figure I am a gent so I will answer!  It Looks swell!!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
Agreed , I figure you're a gent too , Tom . :)

As for the plate , you did good there , Rick . The cut outs create a much better flow , not to mention the fact that you'll have a much better view of bumps, potholes and critters you'll notice a bit too late . :D

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2016, 10:30:09 AM »
Up out of the basement!  Man, it looks like a giant compared to the stock bike next to it.  

The story goes that Paul Treen had a friend that played in the NBA and really wanted a Servi-Cycle.  For his birthday Paul presented him with this bike, specially built at the Simplex factory for him!  LOL
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »
Ha . Folks might just go for that . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
The Stretch made its maiden voyage today!  I took it around the block a few times.  Seems to handle well, no major issues.  I need to check all the nuts and bolts as the air cleaner started to fall off.  I just had regular nuts on, no lock washers or loc-tite. The throttle is not as smooth as I would like, so I will look into that after Portland.  The exhaust is really nice sounding, very mellow.

Check out the pictures.

Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
Looks like it's coming along nicely , Rick .

Did the rear fender pivot down some to the rear ? Seems it should be farther around to the front . I bet it just me , again .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
Looks like it's coming along nicely , Rick .

Did the rear fender pivot down some to the rear ? Seems it should be farther around to the front . I bet it just me , again .

Good eye Pete. I drilled the hole too low, and will drill another and move it up in the rear.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:49:51 AM by RickS »
Rick

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
  I like it very much. looks good with all the drive on the left.   eric

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
Thanks Eric.

Took care of a couple of small details this morning.  I rotated the rear fender forward about 2"  Looks better. I also added the pinion cover with the 3M trim tape.  Worked great!  Thanks Rick C!

I also lowered the seat about an 1 1/2", which feels better to me.  I will ride it a while a decide if I want to go a little lower before welding it up permanently.

At least I met my goal of having it running for Portland.  See you guys next week.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
Lookin' better , Rick .

I see you just switched seat springs . Always more than one way around a bush . ;)

I bet that fender could go forward some more and look even better . I think the OEM was set with the fender at or just below the lower frame rail . That would also bring the fender stays a lot closer to being in line with and perpendicular to the frame .

Just thinking on the keyboard .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2016, 09:54:51 AM »
Pete, the seat spring had nothing to do with lowering the seat.  I just changed it to see if there was any difference in spring rate that I could feel.  There wasn't, that I could detect.

I lowered the seat by bending the old fender mounting location down and relocating the top mount of the spring back about 1".  Looks good, but will definitely need a cross brace in the long term.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »
Now that you say , I see there's a difference in the before and after pics .

Assumptions got me again .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
Rick I haven't been up to much lately but I've watched the "stretch" project with interest and anticipation & it's really coming together well & timed to make a showing at Portland.  It will draw a lot of attention & more than a few questions as well; I'll wager! Have a fun & safe time of fellowship... of course take many photos.

Adhesive fasteners certainly help make possible clean, secure & creative fabrications, which were in the past not worth the trouble, that are now quite simple to achieve.   Rick C.

Stevo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
Looking good.  Tell me about the front and rea fenders??      Source and size of them   3" x 26"??