Author Topic: battery life  (Read 6332 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
battery life
« on: September 26, 2015, 06:20:49 AM »
Hey guys, I'm changing my headlight, tail/brake light and turn signals over to 12V LED, from the 9V system I'm currently running, and I'm down to considering its power source now.  It's going to be a rechargeable system but wondering about these little LiPo CCTV camera battery packs.  Any idea how long one of these 12V 6800Mah battery packs would last for use with a 12bulb LED tail/brake light and a 12V LED headlight?  My alternative is a small SLA (12V 5AH) hidden in the saddle bag.   

pd

• View Profile
Re: battery life
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:10:40 AM »
The LiPo will last about 1.8 AH longer than the SLA . ;)
And , it looks like the LiPo will take a lot less space .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:05:31 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:03:06 AM »
I'm seriously considering keeping the headlight set-up "as-is" because it works so good, and it's easy to just replace the battery when needed. (haven't had to even with the Super bright 9V SMD bulb) But, I am leaning towards using the little LiPo pack to run the tail/brake light tho.  (I'm eliminating the turn-signals in order to get rid of the ugly little control box on the handle bars, and go to a more basic, era look) Added advantage is it has a on/off switch built in right into to the battery pack, and it's small enough to mount where ever. Ideally, up front of the engine, where low oil pressure sensors located. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
Depending on how rugged the 9V HL bulb is , you might be able to run it off the LiPo battery . Most are able to use a range of voltages before self destruction happens .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
 One way to find out...I think I bought a pair of them...I'll have to go digging thru the  Servicycle "box-o-parts" and see when the LiPo battery arrives.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »
carryall ,

You'll be able to use the LiPo for the HL . Buy an LM7809 Regulator to step the 12V down to 9V . They are small and easy to hide . Here are some on Ebay :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lm7809

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 06:14:30 AM »
  If I end up wanting to run a wire up to it, that will certainly do the trick, Thanks Pete!

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »
Both the tail light and LiPo battery arrived so, I fully charged it and then hooked it up with both the brake and tail light illuminated to see how long it would last...I gave up after over 18 hours of watching it.  When I went to recharge it, it only took 2 hours to fully re-charge back what little energy it had expended in that 18 hrs, compared to the approx. 6.5hrs it took when it was first charged after purchase.  Pretty impressive little power pack!!!  Another plus is, it is so light in weight, I can get away with using Velcro to attach it for easy removal on the rare occasion it'll need to come off the bike for charging. The lighted on/off switch is a nice reminder to shut it off also as it's going to be mounted just in front of the engine, near the ignition, using the clutch guard mounting points where it'll be away from any engine heat.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »
Nice choice then!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 06:03:09 PM »
Looks like you could hide the LiPo behind the license plate . ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:47:36 AM »
Now that is a novel idea!  Not sure I'd like the look, but great imagination, and thinking outside the box skills PD.  I'll post a pic of finished project, incase anyone in the future has need.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
Welded the battery holder bracket and tail light mounting bracket and using Velcro to attach battery to bracket in order to insulate from heat and isolate vibration.  Ran wires thru frame using watertight quick connectors left over from an LED underbody light kit installed on my other motorcycle. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »
Seems to fit .

Even looks half way decent .

And , it works . ;)

Nice job .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
I need to build me a little shield like that for my bike. I keep hitting it with my heel ever so often. Looks great.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
Notice the dark strip on the outside edge of the clutch has a dark stripe from my boots also. LOL ...I could have made it more "encompassing" but was more worried about something getting wrapped around the clutch belt, like boot lace or ragged jean cuff.