Author Topic: Billet Rod  (Read 1366 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Billet Rod
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
This is one of Wayne's rods I picked up while in Portland.  Pretty nice.  I don't really think it needed it because I have seen plenty of aluminum rods with out pin bushings but I put a bushing in it anyways.

Also some pics of the german needle bearing.  I don't prefer it as I don't feel like the needle rollers are not exposed enough to be lubricated correctly in my book.  Plus it is intended to be a pre-lubed sealed bearing.  I pulled a seal off of one side to look.  So I will be sticking with the double row ball bearing.  Does this match yours Rick?

I will be putting this stuff in my '48 as a preventative to coughing out the old cast rod!

pd

• View Profile
Re: Billet Rod
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
I have one of Wayne's rods installed .
I thought it a good idea after I saw the condition of the OEM rod .

I'm sticking with the double row bearing , too . Hopefully , the cage won't come apart on the bearing supplied by Wayne .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Billet Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
Tom, my bearing looks exactly the same.  I am going to remove the rubber seals and give it a try.  That bearing is the same one Ernie runs in his Sportsman.

That said, Ernie thought the double row bearing you got from Wayne looked very stout.  He said he saw no reason it wouldn't work just as well.
Rick