Author Topic: Portland 2016  (Read 21885 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Portland 2016
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
James, how crowded is it up on Simplex Hill?
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 03:43:22 PM »
I was so aggravated at the bike when it wouldn't run at Portland, I brought it home & didn't touch it till last night.....nothing like waiting till the last minute huh....

I finally got the Kubelwagen project finished & been having fun with it.  I"ve still got a studebaker in the shop that needs a lot of attention, but just didn't want to miss out on portland.  I'm sweating right now that the new battery for the little blue honda will show up tomorrow....we plan to leave tomorrow night.
Mike & Sonya

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2016, 05:04:23 PM »
Still room over there, but the grumpy peddlers are all spread out, they usually try to stick together but there wasn't anywhere big ebough they could all be together. We got Brenda a Honda express so she could ride around, from one of the grumpy peddlers. I was gonna post some pics, but my phone takes photos too big for the site, so I guess I will have to wait til I get home to resize them on our computer. Having fun, heat isn't that bad when you find some shade, and not that humid today....last night was really humid when we were setting up.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »
Still room over there, but the grumpy peddlers are all spread out, they usually try to stick together but there wasn't anywhere big ebough they could all be together. We got Brenda a Honda express so she could ride around, from one of the grumpy peddlers. I was gonna post some pics, but my phone takes photos too big for the site, so I guess I will have to wait til I get home to resize them on our computer. Having fun, heat isn't that bad when you find some shade, and not that humid today....last night was really humid when we were setting up.

James, if using an iPhone, email them to yourself and select medium size.  That should allow you to post them.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 06:58:36 PM »
Who doesn't believe that place will be a ghost town by Sunday.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »
If everyone is going to start showing up this early I guess I will do that next year Then burn out Friday night to go back home. I bet there's going to be people leaving on Friday or Saturday morning.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
How is it going in Portland ?

I'm spending most of my time in air conditioning as it's rather thick and very warm outside .

Today it was just plain oppressively hot here :

Clear
92 °F
Felt Like 114 °F
No wind

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2016, 06:59:47 PM »
Got to Portland mid-afternoon & saw Rick, Kartjockey & Sonrisers....and a couple of new guys from the web I hadn't met before....plus the "old crew" Ernie & Bob.  Was able to purchase a new ignition coil from Wayne, but still no spark.....we'll see what happens tomorrow.....

Rain storm blew in around 6pm & Sonya & I helped kartjockey hold down his awning.....lots of other folks now have wrecked awnings....dozens of them. 

Calling for rain again tomorrow.....we'll see......Did find some much needed bicycle parts.  Rick has found several Simplex parts. 
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »
We have a storm brewing here . It's forming to the North and starting to swing in our direction .
Hopefully , it won't be as nasty as what you guys had this evening .

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:13 AM »
I got to Portland Thurs.   Met Rick.S and Kart jockey.  Lots of nice Simplexes.  Left before the storm but got caught on I-75 going home.  It was hot but not unbareabele.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
We had high winds and an inch and a half of rain out of that storm last night . Trees and a bunch of limbs down all over town . And , of course , the requisite power outages . More bearable temps and humidity today .

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
Many thanks to all the wonderful people from this site that we met at Portland. What a great bunch of folks. Willing to share ideas, stories, and information. For a first timer to Portland I thought it was first rate. Had a blast and looking forward to next year and bringing something to ride. Thanks to Rick for a ride on the Simplex Stretch. I'm sure everyone has followed this build as it progressed. Let me tell you, it rides as sweet as it looks. Hope everyone had a safe passage home. Bob

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »
We had a nice time visiting with the gang also.  Was frustrated that the bike is still on the blink, but the rest of the meet was fun.  We left Saturday evening so we could recover on Sunday. 

I think everyone was in agreement that next year we'll all come a day or two early & then leave early.....just like all of the old timers.  I just don't think they will be able to change the culture that has evolved within the club. 
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2016, 12:44:45 PM »
Dang , now I have two less days to get the '57 ready . :(

Well , IF I get it running by then , I think I will have executed some kind of miracle . ;)

As for changing culture , if ya can't beat 'em , join'em ?    When in Rome ... you get the picture .

Glad you guys had good time .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »
Great time at Portland as always!  Got to meet Butch27 and Bob53, and his friend Mike this year. 

All the usual crew was there and we all had fun just kicking back talking about bikes, cars, women, ect!  LOL

As always, I forget to take many pictures, but I did snap a few.

Rick