Author Topic: ??? about Torque Converter  (Read 6939 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
??? about Torque Converter
« on: November 27, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
For you guys running torque converters, what is the diameter of your drive pulley?  Why did you choose this size?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:58:51 AM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ??? about Torque Convertor
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:46:39 AM »
what ya thinkin  Rick?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ??? about Torque Converter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:58:14 AM »
what ya thinkin  Rick?

I am thinking anywhere from 3-5 inches.  I like the idea of going larger, as this keeps the rpm's down while cruising, but I don't want the acceleration to suffer.  With the torque converter, it probably doesn't matter as much as it would with a clutch.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 07:39:53 AM »
Yeah.  I am having Phiefer Industries (belt drive people) make me a clutch right now for the S2.  Just have to settle on an engagement speed.  one high enough for the cam but low enough to putt!  Kind of a trade off!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
What is wrong with the clutch you have on there now?  I thought you had one of those high dollar Bully clutches already?
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »
Low dollar clutch.  Was lucky to find it at all with the cogs for the belt.  That drive system used to be super popular on karts now a person cant even find anything. The clutch now engages way too soon and then doesn't come out of it crisply and kind of bogs the motor down because it gets down below the power band.  With my kart clutch I used to be able to let off in the corners and as soon as I hit the throttle for the straight away it would raise right back into the power band and pull good.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:14:24 AM »
I finally settled on a 4" drive pulley in combination with the #2 hole/setting on the driven clutch.  I don't climb many steep hills, so it works well.  Been awhile since I changed/played with the different settings but, the difference between #1 and/or #3 in engagement was very noticeable as far as how quickly, and at what engine speed it started to engage/change.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
What is better I think mine is on #1 setting. What does it do to move it?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
If memory serves me right, the #1 hole setting keeps the clutch from opening as quickly under power/load and gives you more direct power from your engine clutch, where as the opposite (#3) allows the driven clutch to "open up" faster with less load.  On #1, your able to climb steeper hills (and pull heavier loads) using the engines RPMs. (via the engines drive clutch)  Pretty easy to change, just a bit of a "trick" to rewind the spring, while holding the 2 halves together while re-installing the E-clip.  I used a finger clamp to hold the halves together while doing it.  It makes a big difference in rpm engagement speed.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »
Those TAV clutches don't really care what driven pulley you choose...I believe a stock TAV30 is 6" . They make. 7". 
It won't suffer at all because the take off is geared really low( look at it bouncing off the brass bushing, it pretty small when the pulley grabs it)..as it works it actually goes to an overdrive...big in front and small at driven pulley.
They're really smooth and effective. Low end grunt isn't a problem.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »
I went strictly to torque converters on on go carts and am designing one for a v-twin bike build as well. I agree that the variable aspect of the drive renders the diameter of the "pulley" a moot point. They're like having your cake and eating it too & tough as well. Available space and line up issues are typically the most significant problems I've encountered.
I'm not sure why the quality of the centrif. clutch's seems to have gone down & top of the line prices are crazy. I used to thrash the things and they kept on working, now the youngsters tear them up in a single weekend...doing exactly what I used to do! Maybe it's me setting them up wrong, but think I'm done with them. Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:38 PM »
BTW, I had the settings backwards...It's the #1 hole which allows the driven clutch to open up sooner/easier, and the #3 which keeps the "rpm's up" longer before adjusting to the load/speed.  Sorry.   

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
With the riding season coming to an end soon, I decided to do some experimenting before it was too late to test.  I've been alternating clutch settings and different pulleys in order to find a happy medium between both cruising and hill climbing, since I've found a new route which has brought the hill climbing abilities of the previous set-up into question.  After trying various combos of clutch settings and different pulleys ranging from 3" to 4" I think I've found a good compromise.  I'm back to running the 4" pulley but, I swapped the driven clutch spring out for a new one and set it on the #3 setting. I had to have a friend of mine help with reassembly of it because pre-loading the spring, and then holding it all in place while installing the snap ring is tough!!  The bike accelerates way faster now and climbs hills much smoother and easier.  So smooth that I had to make sure the belt was actually dropping down into the driven clutch properly by marking the buttons with a marker, and then checking to see if it was rubbed off after riding it.  Only thing I wish I'd done is "scuff" the surfaces of the driven clutch while it was apart to ensure good belt contact and no slipping.  I did polish the aluminum hub while it was off but, forgot to scuff the mating surfaces before my friend showed up for re-assembly.  I recommend trying out the various driven clutch settings and pulley sizes.  It can really make a dramatic difference on both power and speed.  It's a good time to service it also.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
Sounds like some good and interesting testing!  I don't know if you have a need but I have been doing some RPM testing on a Honda powered pumping system at work where I needed the pump to spin at 1000 rpm and then understand how fast the engine is turning.  I used these to do it.  the little ones hook up the same by just wrapping wire around the spark plug lead or clipping alligator clip on. The bigger one uses a reflective piece of tape that is applied to the pulley.  using two of these I was able to watch the engine and pump simultaneously.  They all work good and were within 20 RPMs from each other.  It's just good to be "in the know"!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »
Sounds like some good and interesting testing!  I don't know if you have a need but I have been doing some RPM testing on a Honda powered pumping system at work where I needed the pump to spin at 1000 rpm and then understand how fast the engine is turning.  I used these to do it.  the little ones hook up the same by just wrapping wire around the spark plug lead or clipping alligator clip on. The bigger one uses a reflective piece of tape that is applied to the pulley.  using two of these I was able to watch the engine and pump simultaneously.  They all work good and were within 20 RPMs from each other.  It's just good to be "in the know"!

Tom ,

I'm curious as to exactly what "these" are .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)