Author Topic: Predator engine carb for CHEAP  (Read 14579 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Predator engine carb for CHEAP
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:20:20 AM »
Anyone looking for a carb with an adjustable idle mixture screw for their Harbor Freight engine?  Check out Russo Power equipment online, or E-Bay.  $12 including delivery can't be beat!!!  Even comes with 3 gaskets, and new fuel line. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Predator engine carb for CHEAP
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:15:50 AM »
Can you post a link?  Is it the genuine Honda carb for the GX200?  Have you used one with better results than the HF carb? Thanks!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »
I think he means this one.  The one for a generator is probably a fixed throttle.

http://www.russopower.com/products/honda-carb-carburetor-with-gaskets-gx160-gx180-gx200-5.5hp-6.5hp-engine-motor/
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
I think you're right , Rick .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
Your correct Rick.  The only reason I wanted to swap carbs was I wanted to be able to "tune" the idle mixture better.   The GX140 tube I have in it, really enriches the "low end" and idle air/fuel ratio, and the original carb(s) on all the H.F. motors either have no idle mixture screw, or they're capped with "break off" mixture screws. (China clone)  I'll just need to install my .036 jet and better E-tube into this new one.  $12 for a carb+...heck, you'd pay that much just for the 3 gaskets alone!  No brainer IMO  (I'll measure but, I think it might even be a slightly larger bore also?)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
Well I got the carb installed tonight...good news is, it popped right off and purrs like a kitten. The machining and quality seems way better than the original carb.  But, I haven't been able to "test drive" it yet.  One thing I didn't notice, till I was swapping the jet and E-tube was, the new carb doesn't have a fuel sediment bowl incorporated into the shut-off valve.  Shouldn't be an issue tho, since I run a good fuel filter (I guess?)  The idle mixture screws location will be a PITA to get at but, with the right screw driver, and a little patience, I should be able to tune it properly sometime over Christmas vacation, in our underground parking area. (aka my test track) LOL  Also changed the route of fuel line directly to carb rather than under the throttle linkage so less likely to kink and exposed to less engine heat.  UPDATE: I got it warmed it up yesterday and got the idle mixture set.  Smooth as glass.  Now I just need to decide if I like the idle speed up higher where these engines run, and the clutch is quieter, (1500rpm+) or a bit lower, more like a "normal" motorcycles idle speed.  Really improved the low end take off, and even after it cools down, no choke is needed to re-start it anymore.  A hal-a**push down on the kicker, and it purrs right back to life...SWEET 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:54:36 AM by carryall »

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
Just an addendum to my carb install.  I occasionally would find fuel "seepage" at the carb-fuel line connection, such as being wet, but not dripping, when using various types of 3/16" fuel line.  I tried tygon, and other various types both with and without various type clips/clamps, etc...but I finally found a fix.  An Evinrude boat dealer/repair shop can help you out and sell you quality 5/32" fuel line which is slightly smaller in diameter. (1/32")  Small engine shops, sport shops, auto & motorcycle stores, etc. don't carry it.  Not even E-Bay vendors.  Fits much better/tighter with NO wetness or spring clamps. Just a tip I thought I'd share...  (added pic of my attempt at stainless sheathing on the new line.)  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:42:24 AM by carryall »

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:17:05 AM »
    Well, since it was a VERY WARM day (record for Minnesota in February @55 deg. I think!)  I just HAD to take one of my bikes out, so I picked the little Servi .  Figured it was a good excuse to go ahead and tune the new carbs idle mixture, and hear what the new S.S. muffler packing sounded like going down the road, (almost too quiet), and run it down to the gas station for some fresh gas.  FOR SURE, this new carb is a big improvement over the original in #1) idle smoothness, (once properly set, although PIA screw location)  #2) starting the bike cold and warm. It has small openings in the choke plate for air to pass thru, so even if it's fully closed, it prevents accidental "flooding".  #3) It also feels like better/faster acceleration up to top speed.   Although, at first, I did experience a Very, very slight "hesitation" at "take-off", I then discovered that was from my governor spring set-up/adjustment, which I had forgot to relocate back to its original hole/setting when I swapped out carbs evidently.  On a side note... another benefit of having, or keeping my "governor" installed/working properly is, when starting, (especially re-starting the bike) the application of "part throttle" is automatic vs having to apply/twist the throttle manually without one, which can be tricky without the centrifugal clutch engaging on you.  Just thought I'd post my follow up report on the new carb results incase anyone with a Predator/clone engine was interested in a cheap upgrade.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »
Glad the carb worked out & felt your frustration with the fuel line. I'm running a Mikuni with 1/8" line and finally found a fuel filter that fit and sealed. It was on ebay but was under large scale remote control plane engines & the hobby shops carry fuel line and filters as well.

Pack your stainless wool tighter to tone the muffler down, just the opposite of what most people intuitively do. Trial & error.

Your Pred/Simplex look is awesome!

I thought our weather was unseasonably warm, 55 in Mn. crazy! Sure the ride was a mood changer, especially with improved performance & an oversight quickly detected and corrected. Good day I'm sure.  Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 10:36:51 AM »
No doubt the real Honda parts are better performing than the clones.  A lot of the kart guys use the Mikuni carbs on the GX and clone motors and, with other mods, make 12 or more horsepower.  Now that would have a Simplex going way faster than I would ever ride one.

You going to come to Portland this summer?
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
I doubt I will.  Although sounds like it would be fun, and it would be nice to meet all of you "in-person", it's just too long a haul there, and back with my limited vacation time available from work during the summer.  Wish it was a bit closer...like Sturgis.  Can you imagine riding Needles Highway on a Servicycle?   Be like mopeding up Pikes Peak. Use a calendar rather than a stopwatch.  LOL

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
I doubt I will.  Although sounds like it would be fun, and it would be nice to meet all of you "in-person", it's just too long a haul there, and back with my limited vacation time available from work during the summer.  Wish it was a bit closer...like Sturgis.  Can you imagine riding Needles Highway on a Servicycle?   Be like mopeding up Pikes Peak. Use a calendar rather than a stopwatch.  LOL

I hear you on the long ride, as mine is 750 miles,  But, if you ever get the chance, it is worth it.  Reese hauls well over a 1000 miles from Texas!  That's dedication to the cause.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Just a little update, or "caution" about the use of Honda GX-140 E-tubes. It is a definite a performance upgrade to any "stock style" carb, by richening up the low end-midrange throttle response. (it eliminates the need to choke a warm engine also) by having a slightly larger center bore and fuel pick-up holes in the bottom but, the reduced number (4) and especially the small size of the air holes, (microscopic) you need to run extra clean fuel and fuel filter.  I found one of the microscopic holes plugged other day when I dropped the bowl on the carb to check jet size for a friends build. 

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
Well, I'm stumped as to what's going on with this "new" carb.  Bike started "stuttering" at slight and low speed sustained throttle the other day, so I cleaned the E-tube and jet, etc. and did a thorough cleaning of the carb.  Re-assembled and still did the same thing.  I then applied partial choke to see if it was running lean...nope that wasn't it.  Pulled air filter to see if that was the issue, maybe causing it to run too rich.  Nope. Then I changed the plug out (old one was pretty black, which was expected, as it does run on the "rich side" with the 140 E-tube and a #35 jet) Still did it.  So, for now I decided to go ahead and put my old carb back on with a slightly less rich E-tube and slightly smaller jet (#34)  (I'm getting VERY fast and good at swapping carbs BTW! LOL) and will do a test run latter this afternoon, or tomorrow after grandkids have gone home to confirm the issue is "in the new carb".  Any ideas of what may be the problem??? ???  It starts and idles perfect, runs up under full throttle with no issues, and doesn't seem to "do it" with no load. (clutch belt removed)  Luckily the carb was cheap, and the only reason I changed it was the ability to "tune" the idle" which really isn't a big deal...Just be nice to figure out what the issue was/is...

UPDATE:  Did test run this afternoon, and the old carb set-up ran perfect (as before, need to 1/2 choke when hot restarting because 140 E-tube isn't in it) definately the new carb has an issue, but what it is, not a clue.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:40:00 PM by carryall »