Author Topic: Wheel Brainstorming Idea  (Read 18302 times)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
Wheel Brainstorming Idea
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
I've only posted one other time so Hi everyone!

I think I've read every post on the site and one thing that keeps coming up is a good supply for tires acceptable for use. I know Coker makes one but they are a bit spendy.

In planning for my build (Which currently consists of a frame forks included) I've been thinking about my wheels. I want something that will withstand New Orleans famous potholes. That leads me away from the standard bicycle solution. I feel that any change in tire size will negatively effect the looks of the cycle.

After much reading I found out that simplex and older scooter/moped tires are sized based on the outside diameter of the tire. At some point they changed this because current tires are sized based on the dimension of the inside diameter or tire bead.

With that in mind I started looking for similarities. It turns out that a 21" motorcycle rim has a fairly large selection of tires available. These are a large number DOT approved as well. I'm pretty sure it's the chosen size for narrow Harley type "Chopper" wheels.

Honda makes a 21" 36 spoke rim but I'm not sure what it was originally on. If that were mated to a 50cc honda dirt bike drum brake/hub it might make a nice set up for a simplex. I think both parts are easily obtained. I'm not sure about the spokes but I think that could be managed.

Just a though, but has anyone else explored this?

Thanks!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wheel Brainstorming Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
IMHO, by the time you buy rims, hubs, spokes and tires, you will have spent a lot more money than just buying the Simplex reproductions from Coker.  To get the same size tire as a Simplex in a 21" motorcycle tire, you will have to find a 2.50-21.  I looked for a street tire in that size and never found one.  I used 2.75-21 on a Sportsman, but that tire is too large for a regular Simplex fender.  Also, being that the only tire I found in that size is a reproduction of a Firestone from Coker, there is no money savings.

Now, if I were going to build a Simplex, and was trying to ride it over 50 mph, I would look for motorcycle tires and brakes.  That said, I have looked around and have never found a tire that I thought was suitable.  If you find something, please post it up so we can check it out.  Thanks,  Rick
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »
Hi, Might want to check out NOLA tires in New Orleans for motorcycle and bike tire sizes. I've spent some time looking for DOT rated tires but Rick S. lives this stuff & I agree that there is not much out there. 21"x 2.5" are available in agressive tread patterns which would work on a build like mine, but would look funky on a true restoration. Since you didn't state a build direction for your bike I'd just be guessing what would suit you. Rick C. 

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:56:11 AM »
I have over a couple hundred miles on my "Whizzer bicycle tires/tubes" (at speeds below 50mph) with no issues.  See my post under "wheels/tires". 

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 06:07:39 PM »
So I was poking around the Internet looking up different wheel stuff. I came across this post which is effectively what I was talking about in my post.

The interesting part is it came from here. Any background on this?
http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=56498;sa=showPosts

I understand the 3" won't work with the  existing simplex fenders but I'm still curious about a DOT tire option. Besides, I don't have any fenders yet anyway so I might be able to get creative.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »
So I was poking around the Internet looking up different wheel stuff. I came across this post which is effectively what I was talking about in my post.

The interesting part is it came from here. Any background on this?
http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=56498;sa=showPosts

I understand the 3" won't work with the  existing simplex fenders but I'm still curious about a DOT tire option. Besides, I don't have any fenders yet anyway so I might be able to get creative.

I don't think the company that was going to provide these wheels is in business any longer.  If you pursue motorcycle wheels, I would look into a wheel that is 19".
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
Eitec,

I went back to ebay and read the NOLA wheel add for their Vee brand tire. NOLA is a New Orleans company. The add states that this tire is rated at 750 lb., each tire. That's a heck of a load capacity. They further state that it is being used by the New Orleans pedi-cab operators with great success. The final point made is that if they can hold up to the wear and tear of New Orleans harsh streets, they are good to roll anywhere. Kevlar bead to bead. About $50. bucks for a 26 x 2.5 tire shipped. 750 lb. is not quite double the weight (465 lbs.) carrying capacity of a 130 mph DOT rated small motorcycle tire, which they also stock & sell to put things in perspective. The Vee tire one I'm running on the front of the Simplex stands about 27" inflated at 65 lbs. It mounted well despite the stiff side walls. I run double rim tape and heavy thorn proof tubes as well. I'll update as I get some serious miles on this one.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »
Anybody got details about the side car/hack mounted on the Silver state bicycle drop loop frame/ Lifan Honda clone which Eitec just posted...that side car solution looks interesting & adaptable to a lot of frame variations. Help on recall of any details please.  Rick C.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »

Ndian22, I didn't even think to look at all the pedicabs running around here. Good call on that as a resource.

Are you local to NOLA? I know exactly where NOLA wheel is, my wife and I eat a Crabby Jacks all the time and it's right around the corner. I'm going to stop by there in the next week or two. I think they would be a great resource.

I was coming here to ask you guys what is the goto wheelset for a standard build? I think I'm not going to try and "reinvent the wheel" pun intended... I finally have my ducks in a row and am going to proceed with my build.

As a bit of humor for you guys I am doing this in my "kitchen". I moved away from a house in the country with a shop and all the room I could want. My wife and I moved into a house that has neither a shop nor all the room I could want. That didn't quench my desire to bust my knuckles on occasion. So, my wife gave up a corner of her kitchen to my madness. YEAH!

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 07:18:31 PM »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »
No I'm in Oklahoma.
One of the amazing builds I've seen was by a young man who scratch built a frame with a v-twin in his kitchen & the alley outside his apartment. Using basic hand tools and not a great many of those. He was not a metal fabricator but an artist, as in fine art. Goes to show what can be done with determination mixed with inspiration & perspiration. You can do this.   Rick C.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
Rick, I had a very interesting conversation with the guy from NOLA Wheels. Turns out he is a fan of the simplex. He is a distributor for Vee tires and went to them and had them build a special made tire for the Pedicabs.

"Honestly though, these tires were designed for the simplex. They are motorcycle tires that will fit on a bike. The pedicab thing was so I could get them made".  That's what he told me. He also said they are selling well

So there you have it straight from the source so to speak.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
I'm glad you made contact with him. I've corresponded with him but at the time I wasn't involved with the Simplex build & there was no mention of Simplex by either of us. He was in very interested in my motor bicycle builds & I sent some photos that he requested. I'm currently running the Vee tire we're talking about which is a 26 x 2.5" on the fork  my modified Simplex. I'm only just breaking in the bike, but tire feels fine and looks good as well. It mounted well and was noticeably much stiffer than any bicycle (clincher) tire I've ever mounted, so I know the sidewalls are extremely stiff. I'm running double liners & the Vee brand thorn proof tubes as well. I've run Fat Frank's kevlar lined 2.4" on the same rims and thought they were heavy duty...don't even compare. Another thing 750 lbs. per tire is an insane load number, when 130 mph speed rated tires are often under 500 lbs. load capacity rating. I'd be interested in what he has to say about speed and safety for these "bicycle" tires & why no DOT certification stamped on the tire. With the price of Coker's Simplex tire you can buy 4 of these shipped for one of Corky's. Let's get some more info. He is missing out on a good market not just Simplex but the 4 cycle bicycle builds are becoming quite powerful with some already using Coker Simplex on Worksman bicycle rims etc. Rick C. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »
He needs to have that tire made with a more vintage tread design.  I think either a button or ribbed tread would sell great!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »
He needs to have that tire made with a more vintage tread design.  I think either a button or ribbed tread would sell great!

I'll second that^ .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)