Author Topic: Wheel Brainstorming Idea  (Read 18095 times)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wheel Brainstorming Idea
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2016, 09:35:11 AM »
Rick C. Thanks for the clarification, it provided some insight and helped me understand a bit more.

What you said makes sense. I want to summerize to make sure I understood properly.

Simplex reproductions aren't DOT rated because they are made for the simplex and have inherent speed limitations built in. Hence no need for speed ratings.

Simplex tires are unidirectional and therefor a reproduction would have built in limitations based on the different tread patterns. In addition there would be an authenticity issue.

As far as an argument you will never get one from me. The only thing I'm sure of is I know very little on most subjects. I try to be a student of all things. It's the learning I enjoy and I'm glad folks like yourself can contribute and help me get better.

I guess the reason I'm asking all these questions stems from a comment earlier in the thread. This guy is sitting on the edge of a very nice market and in talking to him, I'm not sure he realizes it. This guy is a really genuinely nice guy. He literally gave me a set of 26x2.125 tires to test out. He wouldn't let me pay him.

He runs a small motorcycle shop and has this tire thing as part of it. I asked him about a DOT rating on the tires and he said it was too much trouble right now. He has access to the manufacturing to build about anything that looks like an old motorcycle tire. Right now he is competing with a bicycle market because he's selling a bicycle tire. With a DOT rating he competes in a different market.

I just wanted to understand more so I could maybe help this guy and maybe the old motorcycle community. He's a nice guy and they are becoming rarer and rarer.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »

As far as I can recall, the Coker tires do not have any DOT stamp on them.  I wonder what the liability would be on a street registered bike accident without a  DOT approved tire?  Personally, I didn't even consider it, and thinking about it, I don't even care. Lol

RickS, that's kind of what I was getting at with the seatbelt comment. I think it only matters with a new vehicle. That's why Coker tires aren't DOT marked... they don't have to be. Consider if they made all old vehicles meet new standards. Old cars would be crushed as unsafe. Original equipment is seen as kosher on old vehicles even though they can be used on the roads like everything else, you just couldn't produce it for purchase on a new vehicle without it.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »
I think they are decent Rick, if you like I'll take some photos & post. You got a frame that I can cut up & stretch?

Only thing interesting about DOT is FMIO (for my information only) manufacturers use it to sell more product at higher profit margins. Lawyers make sure companies have a weasel hole to escape through, the tire puncture repair clause is just one such route to elude corporate responsibility in liability lawsuits.

Jason I think you followed the Old guys ramblings quite well. Lot of nice guys in this world but they are mostly low key & therefore over looked by a society that is so self absorbed that reality is mostly ignored, including taking notice of and giving credit due to others. Values are mostly out of whack.

I continue to think Nola Wheels could make a nice profit & at the same time a contribution with a slightly expanded Vee tire line & a bit of marketing adjustment. Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2016, 11:46:32 AM »
Rick, no frames left.  I will be on the lookout for another 1 or 2 at Portland this summer.  I am going to build another 3 wheel truck in the future, so I am collecting parts. 
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »
Took some pictures of the Coker tire for comparison.  Still dirty from Portland last year.  These are on my rat bike, which never gets cleaned.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 05:42:30 AM »
Rick I seem to remember reading that Corky Coker bought the actual Simplex tire dies for his "reproductions" if so he might have copyright protection as well on the Servi-Cycle & Simplex tire "branding" but not on the tread design, just the product branding. Your Cokers prove the point well, they are great reproductions.

If you locate a frame that could be a donor let me know. Basket case preferred as the only area I'm concerned with is the "steerer" section & a few inches of upper and lower tubes need to be in excellent condition as well as the axle drops. I really don't want to destroy a good frame & won't. If I find a good one I'll give you a shot at it.

I would sell the wheels but not actively trying to sell anything, but they are here & no hurry...make an offer or trade?  Rick C. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 06:41:07 AM »
Rick I seem to remember reading that Corky Coker bought the actual Simplex tire dies for his "reproductions" if so he might have copyright protection as well on the Servi-Cycle & Simplex tire "branding" but not on the tread design, just the product branding. Your Cokers prove the point well, they are great reproductions.

If you locate a frame that could be a donor let me know. Basket case preferred as the only area I'm concerned with is the "steerer" section & a few inches of upper and lower tubes need to be in excellent condition as well as the axle drops. I really don't want to destroy a good frame & won't. If I find a good one I'll give you a shot at it.

I would sell the wheels but not actively trying to sell anything, but they are here & no hurry...make an offer or trade?  Rick C. 

Rick, I don't think Corky bought the original dies.  The reason I say this is because 3 gentlemen put up the money to have the dies made for the reproduction tires.  As I understand it, Coker gave them a discount on the tires when they were first made, but no longer.  As a matter of fact, 2 of the 3 are no longer with us.

As for copyrights, I have no idea.  I have discussed this with Wayne in the past, but his lawyer didn't believe there were any on Simplex at all.  In the mid 1960's, Simplex minibikes and Go Karts were sold under the Valiant Manufacturing name.  Treen sold the company in 1972 and they went out of business in 1975.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »
Thanks for the clarification & background info. I don't know where that story popped up but there is a lot of muddled versions of lots of topics on the web. Question & verify...part of my training in another life but still valid today. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »
Jason I talked with Greg at Nola Wheels today & they ran out of the 2.5" order won't be in for about a month. He sounds excited about his product and optimistic about his Vee brand kevlar tires holding their own performance wise against the Coker Simplex. Flame tread pattern isn't going to fly with vintage restorations though. Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »
Did anyone follow up with NOLA on a reproduction tire?
Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »
I haven't. I need to ride over there and talk to Greg. I'll commit to do that in the near future. My free time has been limited lately. It took me a few weeks just to draw up that axle in the other thread for lack of spare time.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
Rick I've checked back on availability of the 2.5" Vee & still not in stock as of last week. No commitment to the vintage tread pattern to this point. Rick C. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
Does Greg at Nola Wheels have a web site ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »
Pete I have no knowledge of a website, but they have an Ebay store & I posted a phone number some time back on this thread I believe. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
Pete guess I didn't post that phone number on this forum. I'll check my phone logs.